Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Zoos

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by piggybaker, Aug 20, 2009.

1. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

Ok i was wondering after reading another thread why some of you disagree with zoos.

Personally we have Howletts John Aspenell ones near us and I think they are clean well maintained the animals even though i can't read an animals mind always come across as content and appear happy well stimulated.

I do understand there are zoos that should just be closed but surely those who don't like them feel every one should be closed!

Lets keep the debate health and free of hair pulling nail scratching and bareing of teeth gang,,, I really want to understand why some of you find zoos so offensive,

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I prefer the Safari park's better. Far more room for the animals to move around, and slightly more natural settings.

I dont have a huge problems with zoo's, only when they dont provide very well for the animals; ie, wing clipping parrots etc, instead of building aviarys. Enclosures too small with little environmental inrichment that cause sterotypical behaviour.

Personally, i think ALL zoo's should be involved in breeding programmes, not for other zoo's but for release back into the wild. I think its wrong that wild animals should be caught and sentenced to a life in captivity, which is the case with many rhinos.

Zoo's shouldnt be for the sole purpose of human entertainment. No not everyone can afford to travel and see animals in their natural habitats, but sometimes people have to accept they cant always have what they want.

1 person likes this.
  3. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I don't mind zoos. I love going to the zoo!

I do think that they do need to provide larger areas for the animals. I also agree that they have got to do more for releasing into the wild.

4. I dont mind zoos providing they are doing the best they can for the animals they keep - which means big naturalistic enclosures with as much environmental enrichment as possible.

I wish more would take on the "rare breeding" programmes, and that those that do would diverse into some of the less popular rare species. Its something like only 5% of the worlds endangered species are kept and bred in zoos - because most of them arent "pretty" or popular so wont draw in the crowds as much.

Some places which i suppose could be called zoos though i think do alot of good - monkey world for example - i love the place!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive always wanted to go there.

I see them more as a rescue centre. Im not sure what they are classed as. I dont think they intentionally breed do they?

6. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

I like Safari parks better too - just because they seem to have more room and arent so enclosed!

Has anyone been to Longleat? I really want to go and am hoping to go before the end of the year...!

Zoos sometimes just feel so un natural! The one near us is Whipsnade Zoo...not sure if anyone has been?

We went to San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park and that was pretty spectacular! They had huge enclosures! Not like over here!

7. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Much the same as others have already said, as long as they give the animals the environment they need to keep them healthy and happy. I love going to the Zoo, I used to live close to a Zoo up until i was 26 and went there regularly.

8. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

I detest Zoos and will never go to one again. They make me sad, I can't bear to see disressed animals in small enclosures. I live near Longleat and Monkey World. Longleat is wonderfull, you are in the cage (your car), not the animals. You can get so close to them, I recommend it :D
    Monkey World...they do some great things for them but some enclosures made me sad so I will not revisit.

Longleat all the way, I look forward to returning :)

9. They intentionally breed their orangs,

And ( i know most will disagree), i know they say that they dont breed their chimps - but its funny that the contraceptive method fails every 3-4 years or so ;) - me thinks that one baby every few years keeps the public visiting ;)

Still They do a STIRLING job rehabilitating their apes and monkeys!

10. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Im totally against zoo's........wild animals should remain free, not caged up as amusement for the human race.

If we trying to preserve a species from extinction, why can't it be done through some type of safari park??

11. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

I went to chesington and felt the animals where on display, i do like the zoos that have massie enclosures and you have to look for the animals, makes it less performing like.

AngelXoXo I know you said you do not like them, what turned you against them,,

12. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I used to love the Zoo when I was little,,,,however last time I went to a zoo (Twycross) I was very saddened by some of the enclosures and how sad some of the animals look....I too would prefer to see them in safari type places where they are not confined in a concrete cage and have lots of space to run and be free:)x

13. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I dont like them because i personally dont believe it's fair to the animals. It's not their natural habitat to be caged up or to be displayed like prizes.

I dont particularly like safari parks either but at least the animals are free to roam and they do their best to provide a natural way of life for the animals.

If humans need to intervene to save them, then ok but it can be done in a more natural form.

14. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Much prefer safari parks, I remember going longleat not long after it opened, I was in my uncles car with my cousin and a lion started biting the car door handle :eek: we thought it was brill but my uncle just kept papping his horn and trying to move :D
    The monkey park by us at trentham is also brill, love going there and watching the monkeys running about.
    Yes it would be better for all these animals including those in zoos to be in their natural environment but lets be honest with our own destruction and land grab its never going to happen.:( The best we can hope for is the animals end up somewhere that is going to care for them to the best ability. I have to be honest things have improved vastly for animals in zoos, and yes I admit there is still a way to go for a lot of them.

15. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I love Chester Zoo , its heavily into Conservation and Education ... the enclosures are spacious and well thought out , even the gardens are gorgeous ... and no , I dont work for them , lol, I just love this Zoo , I visit as often as I can :)

Having said that however , I totally disagree with any zoo/animal park , however large or small , that keeps its animals in substandard conditions & enclosures and isnt contributing to the conservation of species and education for their betterment

#15 Mese, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  16. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Our closest zoo is Whipsnade, some of their enclosures are fantastic, I love the fact they walk the elephants around the park :)

Zoo's have success in breeding and are preventing some species from eventually becoming extinct.

17. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I've only ever been to Edinburgh Zoo and it was awful. Maybe it's improved since then but I'm not even sure if it's still open. Only saw about 5 animals.. Would like to go to a few animal places near here soon. Was going to go in the summer but too many kids around!

18. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The one near us is fantastic huge enclosures, the animals look very happy and they do run breeding programmes for endangered species which is a good thing. Yes they do a couple of animal shows but with animals that obviously enjoy it they stopped a show when we were there because one was miserable. Another good thing its not built on the side of a mountain like Belfast Zoo.

19. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

If it weren't for zoo's dozens and dozens of animals would be extinct. Such as Giant Panda's....

A lot of the animals in zoo's are captive bred- meaning they were born in captivity - not wild caught.

Zoo's are fantastic places. Or atleast the ones in developed countries are. Most are involved in breeding and rehabilitation programmes and release programmes too.

I understand that some zoo's could be better - I don't particularly like London Zoo - HOWEVER, they are the only zoo in the UK to successfully bred Snow Leopards. A big cat that is notoriously hard to breed if they aren't happy and content with life.

20. Not strictly true, marwell have been successfully breeding their snow leopards since the 70's!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice