Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Zooplus - out of stock foods

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jansheff, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I've had cats on renal and senior food for a long time now as I've got oldies and needed to keep to moderate protein and low phosphorous. The new kitten arrived, having been fed on Sainsbury's cat food and I've been slowly transitioning her on to better stuff. My last visit to Zooplus, ordered Smilla (she definitely doesn't like that!), Animonda kitten, Macs kitten and Wild Freedom kitten.

I've just tried to reorder and lots of stuff is out of stock. I could only get Animonda in kitten. I looked at Macs adult food instead and none of that. No Grau, kitten or adult, no Wild Freedom kitten, though I have got some adult. All the better, but reasonably priced brands I used to get when my cats were younger seem to be unavailable.

Is this because Brexit? The Pandemic? Or is it just temporary, does anyone know? I intend going through the long sticky thread about food, to try and find alternatives, but it's 20 odd pages and need a bit of time to do it.

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

It’s due to Brexit. Zooplus sent an Email to the customers that some brands won’t be available in the UK anymore. Besides deliveries from mainland Europe to the UK have become more complicated and expensive so stocks aren’t what they were.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

But I think they have already removed the items you can no longer order. Most of the stuff is out of stock.

They knew this was coming, why have they not stocked up their UK warehouse like other places have had to. I can't think of another company that have had such issues as Zooplus.

The way they are going, their business will crumple as they just have nothing in to order.

4. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Ah ok. I never got that email and I’ve been shopping there for over 10 years. Shall have to go back to the beginning. I liked Macs and Grau as it was economical in large tins instead of the individual serving trays or pouches. Don’t like all the waste they produce either.

5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I think items will be back in stock at the end of the month.

Jansheff, Arny and chillminx like this.
  6. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Someone emailed and said, in chat, if it says out of stock they will continue to stock it. If its been removed it won't be reinstated.
    It could well be problems at borders or covid but either way hopefully issues will get ironed out as time goes on.

Jansheff likes this.
  7. Cleocatra

Cleocatra PetForums Newbie

Having the same issue with Animonda Integra Urinary food. Given it’s a German company I’ve been worried this would happen. Went on to reorder today and it says not in stock until Feb 3rd. But I didn’t get any email so it hopefully sounds like it’s a temporary problem. We will have run out by then though.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I just received an email from zoo+ regarding wild freedom chicken fillets ( cat treat food)/. It has been listed as " out of stock" since late December , it will now no longer be stocked so it looks like" out of stock" doesn't necessarily mean it will be available later for all items .
    I have yet to explain this to Mr M .

sandy-cat and Lina84 like this.
  9. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

That's frustrating. I don't have to do an order till next month but hoping they have something to buy!
    I had, wrongly, assumed that at least they'd continue to supply their own brands.

10. punkpixie

punkpixie PetForums Junior

Oh crikey, all my cats food is out of stock or disappeared. She is such a fussy eater it took me so long to find food she didn't refuse to eat after 3 meals. This is troubling :-(

11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

It’s not just food they aren’t buying back in. I tried to order Max another windowsill mat & they won’t be restocking them either. It can't be due to extra taxes, as extra taxes on a £3.99 mat wouldn’t be enough to put people off buying them.

12. scatatonic

scatatonic PetForums Member

My cat eats Mjamjam, I buy off Amazon, and half of that is now OOS and what isn't has gone up in price - I was already struggling with the cost and whilst furloughed can't justify spending the amount I do on cat food. Totally appreciate how stressful this is when you've spent a lot of time and effort trying to find a food that suits your cat.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Zooplus said a while ago they were intending to reduce the choice of stock they carry for the UK market. So I assume they are discontinuing items that don't have a big turnover, whether they are food, or non-food items.

They are planning to use their Coventry warehouse as their main UK distribution centre, so they can import their goods in large quantities and then re-distribute it to UK customers. It makes sense I assume, for them to import only goods which have a quick turnover, so the warehouse doesn't get choked up with stock that is not selling quickly.

I am very sad that in the UK we'll no longer have access to such a wide choice of goods as we have been used to having from Zooplus. That's Brexit for you! :(

On the other hand I am very grateful that Zooplus is continuing to supply the UK at all. Other German firms I have relied on, such as Fuettern-mit-spass and Vet Concept are no longer delivering to the UK because of Brexit. And as for Zoo-bio.co.uk, they have been showing "out of stock" on all the foods I usually buy, for several months now. Who knows if they are even planning to stay in business. Or perhaps they are another one who no longer want to bother with UK customers because of Brexit.

scatatonic likes this.
  14. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Zoopluss wint go out of business because the majority of their business being an EU company is in the EU. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they end up closing their UK side down.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am praying they don't decide to do this! They have a pretty good customer base in the UK, so in spite of all the extra paperwork and the import taxes involved due to the UK no longer being In the EU single market, hopefully it will make good business sense for ZP to continue in the UK.

16. David C

David C PetForums Senior

@chillminx I hope you are right but I just have that feeling it could go the wrong way for is over here and they could follow the way some other EU online companies have gone with not selling to the UK anymore. Sadly I dont think those who voted for Brexit thought about all this. Travelling to cat and dog shows in Europe is now all up the spout because they will have to have rabies vaccination before hand and vet certificates both ways before leaving and coming back costing around £100 each way per animal. We doubt we will have many EU citizens coming to crufts and the like anymore

17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@David C - IMO it is a real shame we are going to be cut-off in many ways from our European neighbours, culturally as well as having no access to certain markets and activities etc... It feels such a backward step. :( I remember back in 1973 when the UK joined the EEC (The Common Market), it was such an exciting time! So much hope for the future. I feel quite bereft now.

#17 chillminx, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    David C likes this.
  18. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

I work for a French dairy firm and I import their products produced under "own label" for all the UK retailers eg tesco, js, asda, Iceland, M & S and it went to the wire in terms of tarrifs, which thankfully were wavered on our products but the amount of extra paperwork, vet certificates, daily administration needed to import to the UK and then even more to go back out to Ireland is seriously prohibitive for many smaller suppliers companies for relatively small turnover and profit. I really believe people didn't fully understand what they were voting for when they voted leave.

chillminx likes this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Kirstd78 - perhaps for some Brexiters the sacrifices we will now have to make are worth it.

20. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

It isn't just Zooplus either as far as I can tell. I have been looking for kangaroo on Zoobio and Amazon, two other sources I've been able to access in the past - both out of stock :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice