UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will probably be feeding it part time (like at boarding kennels, friends houses etc) and was wondering what stools and coat condition is like on it? It is £16.49 for 1 kilo and air dried complete raw.
This is similar to the Nose 2 Tail thread and I will use some of that for kong stuffing because it would cost silly money otherwise £50 approx a month to feed an average adult Westie :eek:

·
Registered
700 Posts
I tried Beau on it, when trying to find something that would sort his tummy out and give him firm stools but to be honest although he loved it we saw no benefits over a long lead in and then a 3 week period and it was eye wateringly expensive (he is 17kg!) so I moved him off it sharpish.

I believe it to be very good food, it did not make him itchy or his ears smell which even some grain free foods have (applaws for one), I do feel the small amounts fed, and the fact dogs process it faster as it is more natural meant he was hungry and this is also an issue for him as it triggers other bad behaviors in him.

If you are looking for something convenient to compliment raw when needed I think it would be excellent. if fed as a main food I think the dog would benefit from other food for enrichment and to prevent hunger and possible vomiting bile etc. Good on you for doing so much research though, your pup is very lucky :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you already know I feed it :eek: LOVE the stuff, can't recommend it highly enough. IMO it's the next best thing to feeding raw.

As the previous poster said, I did experience Kenzie throwing up bile because she was digesting it quickly, but this is easily solved by giving her a bedtime biscuit, or kong with fruit/vege in it etc. I see the quick digestion as a good thing - I don't like the idea of food sitting around in her tum for ages.

Stools are perfect - tiny, firm, regular - exactly like her stools on 'proper raw' actually. Much smaller even than when she was on Orijin for a while.

Can't really comment on coat condition as Kenzie's has always been good as she's always been on really good food. I do believe that Westies should have grain-free food though.

In terms of kong stuffing, there are so many things you can put in there instead of wet food, I really don't think there's any need to spend silly money on excellent wet food just for a kong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I part feed it to our littlest she's been doing really well with it, but she prefers natures diet! So I do half and half.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just put ND into mines kongs...As its just a treat i wouldnt spend tonnes on it...

Never tried ziwipeak as i have lurchers...would need to remortgage the house! :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bag of ziwipeak (1kg) is £16.49. How long do you think it would last an average westie pup? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A bag of ziwipeak (1kg) is £16.49. How long do you think it would last an average westie pup? :)
Kenzie is 5kg (so smaller than the average Westie). She eats about 2/3 of one of their scoops per day, so a 1kg bag lasts about a month here. It's worth noting that she eats significantly less than the RDA - actually the RDAs were lower and then they changed them. If I fed her the RDA she'd be fat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.