Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Zara getting spayed tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 12, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

well my GSD is getting spayed tomorrow!

to be honest i am a bit nervious - but im trying to stay possitive!

i would prefer to stay withher until she goes through the anasthetic, as i don't want her to assosisate bad things with going to the vet.

i am taking my cat to the vet today, so i will ask them if i can stay until she is all sleepy and then pick her up later.

i think i am going to take her harness with me - it has a big handle on it as it is a shutzhund harness. as i think she migth be quite wobbly when walking up my stairs to my flat.

can you give me any other advise?

i have had my other animals spayed or nuetered in the passed but i was a kid then!

2. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Hi

I work in a vets and even thou all vets dont work the same i would not think that you would be allowed to stay with her all animals that come into my vets have a pre med with the owners there and then are taking through to kennels where the pet can settle down before it op not all pets have they op as soon as they taking in so your girl could be done within 1/2 upto 3 hours after going in

When she has had her op she will be placed in her kennel and kept a eye on to make sure she is coming round ok and will have a nice blacket on her to keep her warm and then within 2 hours after her op if she has come round 100% she will be offered food and water and then taking out for a slow walk on the grass area on site all our bitches that are spayed are keet in overnight
    Is your vet allowing you to take her home the same day?

My cat is getting spayed 2day i took her in at 9am this morning and female cats are allowed to go home the same day so will pick her up later 2day around 5 ish

#2 nat1979, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  3. GSDlover4ever

the thing is i dont know what she would be like when i leave her or when she is in a small cage.
    she might freak out - she as a rescue dog and a lot of things happened to her before i got her - but i'm probably just over worrying lol.

yep i will be getting her the same day.

i have to tell them about my concerns in the morning - as i did today when i took my cat in - just to remind them :)

4. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

She will be fine
    And the kennels we have at my vets can house a great dane and that would have space to lay out flat turn around etc we case them as walk in kennels for the big dogs

When i pop back for my cat later i will take a picture of our walk in kennel if i can so you can see

5. GSDlover4ever

no you don't have to do that :)
    i have done work expereince at a vets - im just over worrying thats all, sapose it would be weird if i didn't :eek:ut: :)

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Ok no worrys
    Well at least you have a idea what vets look like then
    Some owners dont so its a good thing for you
    she will be fine

7. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I remember taking my first dog Ailsa to get spayed, I was so worried about her, I actually stood outside the vets for ages after I left her there with tears rolling down my face, I was in my 40's at the time :blushing:. Ailsa was absolutely fine.

Terri

8. GSDlover4ever

its amazing how we worry isn't it lol

when i payed the vet spay fee months ago i got all emotional as i talked to the vet about it - how sad am i lol :blushing:

i don't even want to know what ill be like tomorrow lol

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I worry more about my animals than I ever did about my children when they were young, they used to say to me '' mum you love Ailsa more than you love us'', they were told well I get more love from her than I do from you lot. Ailsa was killed two years ago and I still miss her every day, my youngest daughter is expecting her first baby ( a wee girl ) in September and her middle name is going to be Ailsa :D.

Terri

10. GSDlover4ever

well the vet phoned at 3pm and we picked her up about 3.30 - i expected to be picking up a dog that was all drousy and wonky and looking very sorry for their self!

oh i was wrong - i collected Zara and she was very hyper, she basically dragged me out of the vets!

i put the lamp shade thing they give you on her inthe car, just incase she was tempted to lick them - she was also wearing it as i took her for a wee toilet break. she didn't like it and was walking backwards and scrapying it trying to get it off.

i gave her some tuna and when i bf came to mine Zara ran to him all exited - but she miss judged it and ran ito the wall, because of the head collar - luckily enough she didn't hurt herself!

at the moment she has my bfs t-shirt on her with no head collar on - we are keeping an eye on her - i think she she has just relised she actually had an operation lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice