Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yuk!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Ponkies, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

I have a 6 year rescue beagle who has been with us for almost 4 weeks. He has a horrible habit of eating poo when out on dog walks :nono: Cats or dogs, the crustier the better although he has also eaten some fresh stuff recently too which is gross! :sick: Do you think he is just a bit insecure or is he hungry? It's making dog walks not as enjoyable as they should be as we're constantly on the look out for poo and being a beagle he has to sniff EVERYTHING so it's very hard to see when he's near poo or not. Sometimes he will walk past it then bolt back and wolf it down as quick as a flash before we even realise what's going on! Any advice please?

2. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

ETA: my signature is not true when he is doing this!:nonod:

3. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

94 views and not a single response :(

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I can't advise all my 3 like to snack on poo - always have done :eek:
    Never Dog poo though - but Cat, Horse, Fox, Badger, Rabbit, Sheep, Cow, Deer are all enjoyed -they particularly like rolling in Fox and Badger poo, the smellier the better :eek:

The best advice I have is recall training - have a favourite treat/toy that is only kept for recalls and use a long line until they are as close to 100% as possible.

5. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

Thanks, being a beagle his recall is an issue anyway. Sometimes we don't even see the poop until he's chewing on it (like proper chewing on it!) boik! I think it may be an attention thing as we are still new to him although it feels like we have always had him now.

6. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

Hi, you have my sympathy.

I too used to have a dog (the angelic looking one in my sig.) that was obsessed with eating poo. She ate cat poo, occassionally crunchy, sun-baked dog poo but her extra special favourite was human poo - usually of the really sloppy, 10 pints, a vindaloo and now can't hold on until I get home type :eek: :eek:

Even professional dog trainers find poo eating really difficult to deal with. Some dogs just find it incredibly rewarding - poo just tastes sooooo good to them.

The simple answer is to keep the dog on the lead and try to train a really solid 'leave it' command, but it's very difficult and only worked occassionally with my dog - the poo was just too tempting. And, as you've noticed, often they've picked up the scent, snatched the poo and wolfed half of it down before you've a chance to react.

Even trying to find a food that my dog would prefer to the poo in order to offer this as a reward for leaving it was impossible - poo is by far the tastiest food in the universe.

It's incredibly frustrating but in the end I got fed up of having our walks ruined by the constant battles with my dog and the pressure of worrying about where the next bit of poo might be, so I just decided to relax and accept the behaviour. I avoided walking in the worst areas (especially where humans defecated) and turned a blind eye to the eating of cat poo.

I really do feel your pain and wish you all the best

..and watch out for that extra special doggy breath...

#6 ameliajane, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Have you looked into the "it's yer choice" game on youtube? A leave it is all very well but that requires you to see the poo, its' yer choice teaches the dog to control its own impulses and could well help with this.

8. Debbierobb109

Debbierobb109 PetForums Member

9. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

Thank you everyone, he hasn't eaten any for a few days now which is great. I stopped making a big fuss about it and just a firm NO and a tug on the lead when he's near it and the novelty seems to have worn off. He has even sniffed at poo and I have said No and he has just walked off. Hopefully it was just an attention thing but only time will tell...

10. Ponkies

Ponkies PetForums Junior

He has mastered that game perfectly, picked it up very quickly and is brilliant at it.

He has eaten less poo as the weeks have gone on only occasionally having a nibble which we try not to make too much of a fuss over & just move on.

So all in all a great improvement! Think it's also because he's feeling more secure too and is getting used to us being his mum & dad!

11. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Ben has this habit, he wears a muzzle for aggression but it stops in eating poo as well.

It used to really stress me out when he started doing it, but I did notice the more I stressed about it the more he did it!

Just make sure he is wormed on a regular basis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice