Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Yowling at night

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Squishthewhale, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Squishthewhale

Squishthewhale PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have joined today to ask a question around my cat's behaviour

She is around 8yrs old, a rescue with a nervous disposition. We've had her for 5yrs.

Sometimes during the night she wakes us up by coming into the bedroom crying. I say crying because it's a really hollow and sad sounding yowl, not like any noise she makes during the day time. She won't stop until she's comforted- sometimes calling out to her works, but sometimes I have to get out of bed and fuss her. The first time she ever did this was after we left her alone overnight for the first time, but she now does it on and off even when we haven't been away.

Is this just nervous behaviour, her wanting to reassure herself that we are still here? Or something else? She is clearly wanting us as she comes into the bedroom to do it, she's not yowling out of the window at other cats or anything (she hates other cats). She isn't asking for food or asking to play as she has specific behaviours for that.

I'm concerned that she does this when we're away and gets distressed if she doesn't get a response. Breaks my heart to think of my little girl upset and scared. Any ideas as to what this behaviour is about?

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi
    Is your cat left alone for long during the day? And the evening? It may be she needs more company.

I have an 8 year old cat that started this when he started getting hungry in the night. When they get older they often need something during to eat during the night and if it were this, you could use a pet timed feeder.

My mother’s cat started this behaviour also, when he went deaf- have you checked if her hearing is still ok?

I have also had cats do this when their thyroid has become over active, generally a bit older than 8 yrs though, but you could ask your vet.

I found that with some cats, if you ignore them for 2 or 3 nights, it can stop. If it were an older cat then I personally would get up and comfort them (and feed them).

As there are many reasons it could be, I would suggest you get your cat checked out by a vet. You could also try leaving out toys and cat scratching posts, boxes, balls etc, basically things for her to do if she is up during the night and bored. Maybe also, tonight start by giving a small meal during the night, although you said you didn’t think it was this, I would still start here.
    Good luck and let us know how she gets on please.

3. sem1973

sem1973 PetForums Newbie

Hi there

Agree with TriTri re possibility of hyperthyroidism. Miss Meg was nearly 8 when she started howling at night, a proper blood-curdling howl! after a week we took her to the vets & her thyroid levels were sky high, not common but can occur in the younger age groups!

Let us know how you get on!

TriTri likes this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

If your cat is hyperthyroid it will require veterinary treatment, sooner rather than later. In fact my mum’s cat that started this when he went deaf, was then diagnosed hyperthyroid also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice