Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You're trying to teach, He's trying to learn.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by critter, Apr 27, 2011.

1. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I just strayed onto the Training & Behaviour section of the Dog Forums :eek:, what a shock!, I thought the Cat Forums were bitchy!, this is the thread I'm referring to ( Why the blind faith in behaviorists and R+?) sorry I don't seem able to post a link, It took me ages to read because I had to look up a lot of the words!, It seems after all the waffle and b/s the O/P runs a business selling of all things prong collars, I honestly thought these barbaric instruments were illegal, since this revelation has come to light the O/P seems to have disappeared!, the point I want to make is, I am not a dog trainer/behaviourist and what I know about dog training has been learned from owning my own dogs, getting to know them, not trying to rush things, trying (very hard sometimes!) to remain calm and friendly especially with my present dog!, and asking more knowledgeable folk on here for advice and after many (sometimes fraught!) months the training is paying off, I now enjoy the company of a Canine friend who will reliably stop, sit, drop, wait, come greet politely other dogs and people and is a pleasure to be with, I am still working with him on 100% recall especially when excitement kicks in lol, but, we'll get there!, I don't lose my temper with him after all we don't speak the same language, mine is by voice and gestures, his is by facial expressions and body language so we both have to compromise!, don't shout at your dog unnecessarily you'll just confuse him!, you don't need all this crap like electronic collars, e-collars, prong collars etc, just take the time to get to know your dog and persist with the training, ok he didn't get it today he might surprise you tomorrow. wayne.

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

This is a great thread OP. Maybe you can copy it into the Dog Chat section where it might get more views?

3. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

The op of that thread is and has been stirring trouble over there for a few days

There is no one on here who has ever made me as annoyed as he does :(

4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Think I might go over there and have a little look.

:D

5. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

I've just come back to the forum after a long time away and that is one board that I most frequently post on. I have not read all the thread but as I started reading, my eyes started rolling. :rolleyes: I am afraid that there will always be threads like that and that there will always be be people with strong opinions who gravitate towards them and start shouting the odds. I am not going to bother with it as I have nothing to prove anymore. I know what works for me and my dogs and I am afraid that is all I am concerned about nowadays with life being as it is.

Let's all just love our dogs and if we can, help those who want to be helped, not waste our energy and time on those who have such ingrained opinions that they are no longer able to take in new information. :smile
    :

6. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Can someone post a link if they know where abouts the thread is?

7. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

8. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice