Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your views please on advert I found

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lucylewis0, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I saw an advert that really pulled my heart and makes me wonder if some large breeders actually care about their dogs!
    Dont get me wrong most breeders care and love for their all their dogs so I not saying anything bad about large breeding kennels, just some!

advert read

7 year old Tibetan Terrier bitch for sale. For sale as she has finshed her maternal duties! sold without papers but is hip scored and eye tested. £250

Poor girl, produced puppies then sold when she's too old! she prob spent all her life in kennals too :mad:

I just looked at the advert again and they have now changed the wording and taken out the bit about finshed her maternal .

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Unfortunately we see these kind of adverts all the time on here :(

it's not very good is it.... although I suppose it's better than killing her once she's no good to them any more :(

3. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Tell me a new one! See it all the time :(

4. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

so sad to think they have dogs just to make them money

5. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

A lot of the dogs at Many Tears Rescue ae ex-breeding bitches that have never lived in the house.

6. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Such an awful thing and something i keep seeing more and more..:(:(

7. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I know many good breeders that run their bitches on after they have finished their maternal duties. Ideally it isn't great, but it's better than dumping them on the streets or in the nearest rescue or letting rescue pick up the pieces.

8. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

It doesnt make someone a bad person when they look to rehome a ex-breeding animal,its sometimes impractical for breeders to keep all their dogs,if they want to continue with new lines/dogs they will eventually need to consider parting with the older ones.
    Its the ones who dont advertise ex-breeders for sale you want to worry about,they simply take them round the back and dispatch them! without any thought or care for the animal.

9. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I know some good breeders do but its something i really do disagree with..
    I couldnt even think about rehoming one of our girls after she has had the one or two litters we may take from her..They are our family and there not just here to have pupsters..and they will all be here until the end! :) I think we owe that much to them!

#9 DevilDogz, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  10. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i hope your not a fella cos (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

ha ha..I am female! ;) :D

12. Nicci

Nicci Guest

It's something I would never consider doing either :)

I can see both sides though for everyone and although it's not ideal for some to keep their ex-broods as they probably work on a much larger scale than most. It's better that these bitches have a 'normal' life as possible though when approching their twilight years, if the breeder cannot fulfill that then I think the best possible outcome is to find them a lovely retirement home where they can comfortably live out the rest of their years. :)

13. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

The people i got my cocker pups from basically told me the same. As soon as they have had their 5 litters they rehome. They keep 1 of their pups to start breeding them when they are a year old.

My springer had 1 litter and thats it but i wouldnt dream of rehoming her just because shes not having any more pups.

i think its sick

14. clueless

clueless Banned

I could never sell on any of my dogs for any reason. Re the advert How did you come to the conclusion it was from a large breeder??? There are a lot of BYB out there who just have litter after litter then sell on and continue with usually daughters of same

15. majortom

majortom PetForums Member

agree
    no way could i rehome one of mine cos she can,t produce more pups
    once here thats it
    for life
    whether i bred or not
    the day i had to rehome to make way for new show dog is day i pack it in

16. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

Well I kinda guessed it was a large breeder, as they hade another girl advertised aged 4yrs with the same wording and a litter of puppies too! I know peoples views are all different but it really does break my heart to see a 7 year old dog girl for sale! I really hope she gets rehomed by a really great home and gets treated like a member of a family! xx

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Aww that's lovely that you keep them. I don't know how anyone can part with a dog either after breeding from them. I have never bred but I know I couldn't ever do that.

18. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I would never get rid of any of mine infact 4 are x breeding bitchs and 1 an x stud dog from puppy farms but would rather they are rehomed rather than spend the rest of there lives in kennels at least they get to know what a sofa feels like.As someone else said its the puppy farmers that dont adertise the old stock that you worry about there excess is dispossed of in a different way. Nothing to say that it is a puppy farmer in this case

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice