Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your tips & tricks for a nice home

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jo-pop, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

What tips and tricks do you have to share to keep your home in a decent order while having pesky felines around? I thought it'd be good to share. Do you have a particularly good vacuum cleaner, a tool for removing hairs, tricks to clear up those fur gatherings on your laminate etc?
    Anything handy lets share.

The only thing I have done to help minimise mess is change to pellet style litter. Much less tracking now.

2. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

Taking my glasses off normally helps, I'm as blind as a bat without them so everything look's fine! :D

ahem on a serious note ...... I do have lint rollers in every room! Also have a large toy box, toys get put away every night and when not in use.

I am at the moment looking for a decent hoover, but the really good ones are sooooooo expensive.

3. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I started using a lint brush on my rug. the one with the rough cloth. It picks up the hairs for me :)

4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Over-worked Hetty (pink Henry hoover) helps around here :) I also have a small hand held vacuum for doing round the litter box and mat. Covered litter boxes helps to confine the mess too - it's not bad when it's just the girls but gets rather messy when we have kittens as they have to have open trays to start with.
    Toys are kept in a basket and regularly tidied away - though there's always the odd mouse lying around somewhere :p

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Simple Solutions Pet Hair And Lint Remover Sponge
    I use these on rugs, sofas, bed sheets and throws before they go in the washing machine and gather handfuls of fur this way....stopping it being spread evenly over all the washing!
    I use a Sweepa rubber broom (other brands not as good) on all the hard floors daily, also on the rugs. My hoover is actually a pretty basic one but I have kept it going for years by weekly clear outs of the filter....it is a kind of corrugated cardboard housed in a plastic coating but easy to 'bash' and clear the accumulated debris. Most hoovers fail because the filters are clogged.

6. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

Toys in a basket, litter tray in utility room - recently switched to Natures Gold cat litter because I was fed up of seeing cat litter (Oko Plus Cats Best) being tracked upstairs and into the bedrooms. Have to say, it's made a huge difference! Lint rollers galore adorn our house too.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the 'Sticky Buddy' roller? Saw it advertised on TV and I am very tempted to order it!?

7. Notnowbernard

Notnowbernard PetForums Senior

My miele vacuum cleaner, the cat and dog one. It's the best vc I've ever had and would definitely recommend. Fraction of the cost of a Dyson too.

8. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

A Dyson used every day, wood floors almost everywhere, beige sofas and a lot of brushing seems to keep mine in check :)

9. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

You lot make me sound like a slob :D

I do have a small dust pan and brush upstairs and downstairs - that's it.

10. Amin

Amin PetForums VIP

I don't have a clue ..... I would have to ask the missus about it :D

11. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I would love the Miele because it's so silent! But there's so much hair (from the cats and mine) we would end up getting new bags after every single use and it would end up costing a fortune!

12. Notnowbernard

Notnowbernard PetForums Senior

I have really long hair and lots of it! My cats, although shorthair, do seem to moult permanently especially Rosie as she is actually a balinese variant so although sh, her fur is very dense and gets everywhere. I've had the hoover since March and am on my third bag. They are quite often on offer in argos plus I've seen you can buy really cheap "fakes" on Amazon. I've not tried these yet but they have hundreds of good comments so will be buying some in the future.

I was dubious about buying a hoover with bags too but they seem to last ages, so I have not been disappointed. Or out of pocket!

13. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

So is a rubber broom a good investment if you have a light coloured shedding cat and dark laminate in most rooms? Sounds like its what I could do with

14. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Those fake bags are just fine! i have to use them else I'd be bankrupt! We go through a bag every 4 weeks or so.

15. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

We have a dyson upright, a dyson handheld and a dyson digital slim. The slim is amazing for day to day jobs like picking up the tracked litter, but the upright is necessary to get the real work done. The handheld rarely gets used.

But apart from that, we know that we'll never have a show home and be able to give the cats the life we want for them. The cats needs come before style evey time so if that means having a great big monstrosity of a cat tree in every room, then so be it.

After all, it's the cats home, we just pay the mortgage :eek:

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I empty my hoover weekly....an absolute necessity!

18. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I was trying to make my bank balance feel better. It's more, but if I pretend it isn't, it'll not cost!

19. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Dyson Animal at least twice a day, lint rollers.

20. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Twice a Day!:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice