Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your opinions and advice needed.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Patterdale_lover, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Even if it is critisim i don't mind, i need everyones thoughts and opinions on this.
    I know Patterdales aren't a registered breed, but they still do shows around the country for them. Anyway i was checking out breed standard, and noticed that Bess fitted it perfectly. She stands at 12 inches at the withers and has the correct coat for her coat type. Broken: Coarse, longer hair on body except for head and ears which is smooth. May be some longer whiskering on muzzle and chin.
    She only has a white blaze, which i know to be acceptable as most black patterdales do, and tiny white tips on one paw, barely visible. So i thought maybe i could start doing a bit of showing, not being to serious, more as abit of fun, a hobby. Anyway I don't have a clue what to do, apart from making your dog stand correctly, and walking in the correct way. Also with Bess being quite nervy, she seems to be okay in public places, and when she isn't at home, but i am nervous of her shying away or moving about, could i perhaps have some friends, of who she doesn't know come and stroke her and feel around her body like a judge does? How would i go about entering shows? and how much roughly does it cost to enter?

Anyway, please tell me whether you think i should or not, give any tips, or critisim :D I'm open to anything, but please dont be too harsh :p

2. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

i think its a great idea of a hobby, are there any ringcraft classes around you?maybe you could join one of those to get some good advice and help. they tend to be a good place to start.sorry i cant be much more help:D

3. Patterdale_lover

Thanks for posting :D I am just about to have a look :D

4. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

well she is lovely, sure you'll get her to stay still for long enough though? maybe formula 1 instead ;)

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Why not have a go if you can, showing whatever breed is fun and if you win great and if not you always take the best dog home!

6. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

Hi there
    We do fun and companion shows with our dogs and absolutely love them!! We have great fun during the summer.
    We also do open shows with our cocker - but my advice if you go down that route is to ensure you have very broad shoulders! Our dog conforms to breed standard and many people have told me how gorgeous she is - but she is classed as the "Wrong" colour by many judges. They won't place her at all if they can get away with it - we just shrug our shoulders and keep on trying.

Also, be warned, there are loads of "facey" judges out there in real shows - they don't care about the dog, just who bred it and who is holding the lead in the ring. They give rosettes to people they know will be judging at another show in the expectation that they in turn will receive a rosette - it is grossly unfair, but apparently has been going on for many years and I can't see anything that will put a stop to it.

Fun and companion shows are just that - fun!!! Our son particularly enjoys doing junior handling and has had a lot of success.

Whatever you decided, just always remember you are taking the best dog home with you and enjoy yourself!
    Good luck.

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

deffo ringcraft lessons
    i would look to companion shows at first for the experience. not so much pressure in those.

also , i dont know if / how they have a show cut for patterdales but it might be worth looking onto.

8. Patterdale_lover

Haha! she was extremely hypey tonight for some reason! You havent seen her go full speed yet :p

Awhh thats nice of you to say :D

Thanks very much that was very informative, we work at living heritage shows around the country and one of our friends and who i somtimes work for does a fun dog show. she came 3rd in prettiest bitch which i was dead chuffed about :D

Thanks for the post as said i work sometimes on a companion show, and have done it before, its great fun, and bess loves it :D

9. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

You should go for it.

If I was a judge I would definitely give her 1st place :D

10. Patterdale_lover

Awhh thats weet of you! :D She is lovely, especially after she has had a bath! Although she gets dirty again real quick!

11. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i've just decided not to go bowood otherwise i could have gave you some pointers ,but why dont you take her over to lurcher world put her in the pat class (usually small entries ) and they have child handler classes ,have a go a coursing and racing ,maybe see you at powderham? in september

12. Patterdale_lover

Sadly i dont go to powderham :/ the last three shows we are doing are Broadlands on the 22nd of august - the 24th i think
    Sandringham dont have a clue when
    and Cheshire which is in september which is the last show of the season :/ Bess doesn't mind people stroking her at the shows, she rather enjoys it, i dunno why but she is like a total different dog at shows, more confident and waggy tails and everything. Not that she dont wag her tail at home but not to strangers. Some maybe when she is in the ring she will be good too :) When the show ground has closed and no public are allowed in all the show people go the beer tent and sit with there mates, i usually take Bess along to these and people pet her and say what a cracking terrier she is :D

13. Patterdale_lover

Also another question. Bess has a hernia, one the vet said she can live with as long as not excessive weight is put on her abdomen. Would this affect judging. I don't want to put her through the stress of surgery for a hobby :/

14. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

they dont normally notice them when judging ,shame your not comming down this way

15. Patterdale_lover

Oh good :D
    Were abouts are you, i could ask dad if we have a show near you next year :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice