Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your Not Welcome ...

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Antw23uk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Hi

A friend of mine has adopted a staffy mix a few months ago. He is young and rather leggy (likely a staffy/ bull and lurcher mix) friendly chap who has come on leaps and bounds since he got him.

His vet reccommended doing agility so he contacted a couple of London clubs ..... one of them called him back and when he said what type of dog Logan was she insisted they didnt take that type of dog and he wasnt eligable to join!

Now having done agility for many years (a few years ago now) i could only think of a few reasons why she said this ...

A) the reputation of these 'fighting' breeds
    B) being smaller not everyone is happy for a medium dog to join a class if it cant clear 2'6 jumps (although he can easily)
    C) a highly competitive club that doesnt want anything but collies and collie types who will win places for them at all the competitions!

What are your thoughts please?

Ant.

2. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Honestly, I can't answer, but I've known plenty of staffies and staffie crosses doing agility. Where is your friend and where has he/she tried. I know a club west of London which I doubt would have that opinion. PM me if you prefer.

3. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I don't see the problem, it shouldn't depend on the breed specifically, they should have at least tested him. After puppy classes we were encouraged to take my staffieX to agility and she's won a few amateur competitions since.

I say screw them, join a rival club and thrash them at competitions!

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Wow stuck up cow!! I wouldn't want to join their club anyway!! I know LOADS of staffie types that do agility..my evil girl does it, not competitively but for fun, and my local club positively encourages staffy types because they are so good at it!!! I'd ring round and find yourself a much friendly open minded club and one day hopefully you'll come across that place in a comp and your beautiful dog can show them what they missed out on. :D

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I see no reason why they should refuse to let her join simply because her dog is a staffie :eek: Us animal lovers are meant to band together! :eek:

6. Lucky'09

Lucky'09 PetForums Junior

WOW :cursing: They must be crazy :eek:ut: Agility isn't just for competive perposis and can help dogs out alot with helping to build up muscles ect. and is also a good way of meeting new people and having fun and creating a bond with your dog. There should be no reason why the club does not let a staffie in. I could understand if they had been and he had been aggressive towards other dogs possibly but even then most clubs let you have private lessons. I really don't know what may go through these peoples mind :confused: I feel so sorry for your friend.

7. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

they should be ashamed of themselves.

bull lurchers are a popular dog and would do excellent at agility.

8. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

I go to a great trainer , most weeks i train with 2 collies and a lab, and in a few weeks we will be starting agility and flyball.:smilewinkgrin:
    Really looking forward to it .:)

9. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Please dont think all Agility clubs are like this, at the one i train at we have at least one staffie that i know off(there may be more on the nights i dont train),the one i see train is fantastic,our club will be doing an agility display over the bank hol and Max the staffie will be taking part hes a great dog.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice