Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your First Car

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Jul 7, 2009.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Seeing as there are so many threads and I'm totally stuck, what was your first car, and what would you recommend for me?

I'll hopefully pass my test around September time and in Sept 2010 will be off to uni (I hope!). I'd want a car decent enough to be able to go 3hours ish uni to home every month or so and one that could fit some stuff in.

I didn't mind KA's, but my Mum says they have that little 'oomph' I should go for something with a bit better engine? KA's are between 1-1.3cc I think. I'm looked at Peugeot 206' too but I can't help thinking they are a bit expensive for what they are...

I can probably stretch to about £4500 but remember, the insurance mustn't cripple me :blush2:

any ideas..?

2. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

There are loads lol.
    My first car was a 1.3 fiesta. I loved it :p

3. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

My first car was a mini cooper.....fabulous little thing :D

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

A Datsun Cherry :eek:

I don't think Datsun are around anymore.

Having had two children go through the learning to drive and first car thing, I would recommend either a ford or a vauxhall - smallest possible. The insurance is cheap (or as cheap as it can be for a learner/young driver) and spares and repairs are reasonable too.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I will be learning to drive in my oh fiesta and a friends peugot 306.

my car will be a peugot 206 (black!) as I don;t want something big, and need something big enough for kids and dogs. I have a friend who comfortably fits a collie and a gsd in the boot of her 206 and two kids in the back :)

I saw a 206 once black and the wee vent on the bonnet was silver, and it had silver alloys.. decided that's what I'm having and its not very high road tax either!

x

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My first car was a fiat 126 bright yellow with a full sunroof. It was called the yellow peril or the noddy car but we went everywere in that car. Including dow to wales on holiday with a big fat lab on the back seat roof rack full of stuff and under the bonnet full too. The engine was in the back.

I don't think they make them now it had a 650cc engine and was dead cheapon insurance and went forever on a tank of petrol.

7. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

my first car was a simca ( i bet most of you have never heard of it lol):eek: my current car is a porsche cayenne so have gone up a little bit:D

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Peugeot 206SW is my first car. Only have it another week! I love it but even though it's only 3 years old I think the clutch is begining to feel a bit weird.. Only done about 8500miles in 3 years. 2500 of them are miles I've done since passing at the end of March :D

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Datsun changed to nissan.....we've had 5 lol

I would go for either a vaxual corsa or a mini as a 1st car..the mini's are one of my favourite cars of all time to drive.
    My 1st car was a vaxual viva..but i doubt you'd remember those.;):D:D

10. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I do ;) :D

11. CanIgoHome

CanIgoHome PetForums VIP

1st car a Vauxhall Astra MK1 saloon :p

12. MoodyMare

MoodyMare PetForums Junior

My first car was a LandRover Defender and i thought it was the bees knees at the time, i then got an old LandRover Discovery, i've had it 6yrs now and wouldn't change it for the fastest or most expensive car in the world!
    Adele x

13. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

My friend is restoring a Viva!

My first ever car was a toyota paseo, but the stupid woman wrote it off the day before i got to pick it up from her :-( So i got a ford fiesta.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I had a 53 red ka :) I now have an 07 metallic black fiesta style :D

15. fwj01

fwj01 PetForums Junior

Awesome :D

My first car was red corsa. I learnt to drive in a land rover =]

16. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

how old are you? as that will help you abit on insurance, and i assume your a girl :D

dont' get a ka unless its the soft top which is a 1.6.

1.3's are (were when i had one it was my first car, god strike me down for actually paying money for it) actually quite pokey considering, and unless they've changed dramatically can easily beat a big engined bmw/audi/jag up a hill if you can actually drive (unlike most prementioned car owners on a particular hill in bod, aberdeen where i enjoyed wellying past them at the 60 limit). however, they have really REALLY bad understeer (which the 1.6 shouldn't have as it will haev sport sus and be slightly heavier and should be much better (do a roundabout in the wet at 20+ and you'll soon know).
    They are bigger than fiestas (egg shaped = increase interior space).

however, i wouldn't touch one with someone else's barge pole, but i would recommend any newish (last 10 years) VAG group car, all of which are ncap4 rated (as far as i know, my VW lupo certainly was).
    Seat in particular are very good value for money, being built by pedro rather than Hans has it's advantages.

Don't go for any car smaller than a fiesta (so no smart or cinquentos) small crumple zone = engine and leg mergance in head on crashes.

don't just go for a big engine just cos you want power... do your research and get a good power to weight ratio, check out sites like topgear and fifth gear for reviews.
    for example, megane heavy cars **** engines unless it's 1.8 or above.
    clio light car, 1.4s engines are pokey and have good overall performance/interior comfort.

I would if i were you go to a car showroom that has loads of different makes of car (reg vardy or someone like that) and sit in all the small and medium sized cars. actually sit in them and adjust them to suit you and see what you think, play with the pedals and gears etc get someone to sit behind you to see what leg room is like.

17. animallover111

Have to agree ;) fab little car ever......not sure about insurance for a younger driver but i can not recommend any other car compared to a new mini :D

18. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Well :D :smilewinkgrin: what can i say lol.

My very 1st car was a Mini in Harvest goldy cream colour pmsl i hated it!

I like the reg tho lmao and we gave it a nickname :D :D The registration was
    DON 21K lmao can ya guess the nickname pmsl :smilewinkgrin:

Oh and here is a link it may help with your decision good luck.

Top ten best small cars

19. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

oh yeah, skoda also very good, i love my fabia VRS 1.9 tdi :D but the normal models are also very good.

have fun shopping :D

lady wic, good link!

The 500 will be well out of ops price range just now, it's over priced, much like VW's.
    Wouldn't touch the rio, micra, corsa or perodua with someone elses but the others are worth looking at. ;) that's just me tho i'm a bit of an anti-chav, anti-girl car person.
    Honda's are good they have very good servicing, when they need it (relatively expensive but generally worth it for the great customer service).

#19 owieprone, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  20. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

My 1st car was a Nissian Micra in purple!

I'd go for a fiesta (i've got one now) as a first car, or a micra of course!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice