Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your favourite butterfly?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Chat' started by AnnB, Apr 13, 2015.

1. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

Do you have a favourite butterfly? I'm fairly new to the whole butterfly thing but I got myself a macro lens last year and I'm now trying to see as many different butterflies as possible.

My favourite so far has to be my first ever sighting of a Purple Emperor on my 50th birthday last year, what an amazing experience!
    [​IMG]

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Orange Tip for me! That's the species that first got me interested in them; I was about 10 and my school was closed for the day, being used for a polling station (general election 1964) so my mum took me for a day out. Opposite the bus stop, an Orange Tip was patrolling to and fro - I wondered why it was doing that. I later got really into their behaviour and ecology, joined Butterfly Conservation, took up volunteering for them, my local wildlife trust and English Nature/Natural England. I've seen every British species and photographed all of them, most species also in their early stages.

Orange Tips really do it for me. They're graceful, distinctive, under-wings marked with amazing delicacy - and when you see them you know summer's not far behind.

I do most work with High Brown Fritillaries and Duke of Burgundy; they may be rare but that doesn't make them favourites.

I do envy you that Purple Emperor though! I once met a guy who'd carried one round for 3 hours before it flew away (Great Bookham Common, that was). I've seen them there, and at Fermyn Woods.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I've got a sneaking liking for the Green Hairstreak, but probably only because the local Butterfly group won't believe I've seen one on a certain site even though I've seen it 2 out of three years in the very same spot ;)

I saw my first Wall Brown for years last year and I'm hoping to see my first Duke of Burgundy this year :)

4. AnnB

AnnB PetForums Member

I'm on a bit of a mission for a Duke of Burgundy too. I did see a couple last year at Ivinghoe Beacon but it was the end of May and they were a bit faded and battered.

5. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I like the little Holly Blues.

6. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

Speckled Wood. Fond childhood memories of the ones that spiralled amidst the dappled sunlight of my grandmother's garden ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice