Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Your favorite vegetarian meals

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Amelia66, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

So reading the fruits and veggies thread i thought this might be useful for some inspiration on meals.

I love vegetables but find i always do the same things with them and i feel like i need some inspiration for something new.

So if any one has a favorite vegetarian cook book, website or meal they would like to share to help all those looking for something new to try?

Muttly likes this.
  2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

3. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

I tend to do my own thing! Veggie chilli is a favourite - turns out slightly different every time. Or I leave the chilli out and add curry powder instead. I also do a veggie potato gratin - boil up sliced potatoes (don't bother to peel) in stock and layer them with sautéed veg (whatever I have, but onions, mushrooms and mixed peppers is my favourite) and grated cheese - stick it all in the oven to bake for half an hour or so.

Also do a cheese and lentil pudding from Grub on a Grant which I found in a charity shop for 10p. It's written for students, so lots of very easy, cheap recipes.

LinznMilly, Amelia66 and Creativecat like this.
  4. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

I love making veggie lasagner or the potato sliced gratan thingey with stock n cheese or a nice french onion soup with the bread baked with cheese really nice

Amelia66 and CuddleMonster like this.
  5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I'm terrible for following recipes I tend to just make things up - the downside is I can rarely recreate the "perfect dish " :D

I love making;
    Aubergine and chick pea curry
    Butternut squash and goats cheese pasta or risotto
    Ratatouille

Amelia66 likes this.
  6. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Cauliflower cheese with chopped hard boiled eggs and broccoli

Amelia66 and Creativecat like this.
  7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

bookmarked that one for later...looks like a good site!

I just tend to make regular boring stuff but use quorn instead of meat. So shepards pie, bolognese, etc. also veggie sausage casserole. Pasta bakes using chickpeas or butter beans instead of meat and sweet potato, cauliflower and chickpea curry are favourites.
    Soup is always good too. Ive got a soup maker and often make a roasted vegetable soup which is just whatever random veg I happen to have in roasted with garlic, cumin, coriander and garam masala coz I like the indian flavours.
    Then there is always baking! I love carrot or courgette cake!:)

Amelia66 and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  8. rottiepointerhouse

A big tray of roasted veggies is one of my favourites , I love chunks of red and green peppers, courgettes, carrots, butternut squash, onions and mushrooms - I chuck a few cherry tomatoes in half way through cooking for my OH. It goes with pretty much any meal.

Amelia66 and Creativecat like this.
  9. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

I make it up myself or adjust a recipe :)

I love my Pesto Pasta.
    Pasta, half a jar of Pesto, quorn sausages and veg, mixed up and I eat it cold for lunch at work :Hungry

I made Butternut Squash soup at the weekend, OMG amazing!!!
    I used Mary Berry's recipe and changed the bits I don't like.
    Min was just:
    Squash
    Onion
    Carrot
    Veg stock
    Garlic, Rosemary, Cumin, Turmeric, Seasoning
    I kept it thick too Mmmmm

LinznMilly and Amelia66 like this.
  10. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I love a good stirfry. All different veggies: grated carrot, baby corn, bamboo shoots, peppers, bean sprouts, broccoli, water chestnuts. Pretty much any veg we have in (I normally make one when the veg is just oddments left over) and then make a chow mein sauce, add some noodles and soy sauce and sometimes add meat either chicken, beef or pulled pork and it's a quick meal filled with veg that tastes great cold the next day.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  11. rottiepointerhouse

#11 rottiepointerhouse, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    LinznMilly likes this.
  12. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

Indian food is traditionally vegetarian, and you´d definately get lots of variation. Internet will be loaded with recipes.. I think best Indian dishes are vegetarian.

westie~ma and Fleur like this.
  13. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I am currently exploring this blog
    http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com/p/blog-page_78.html
    Lots of good stuff on it

These are really good - and a really good size ( muffin tin size)
    http://thinlyspread.co.uk/2016/05/09/vegan-picnic-pies/

And my favourite quick supper at the moment is soften ginger and garlic in a frying pan, add a tablespoon tomato puree, a can of red kidney beans and a splosh of cream, creme fraiche, yoghourt or soft tofu. Cook it all together for a few mins and salt it if you wish. Serve on a baked spud or as beans on toast. Sometimes I add a chopped spring onion or coriander, just to make it green, and sometimes a splash of water to stop it sticking but not enough to turn it into a stew.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  14. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

15. rottiepointerhouse

westie~ma likes this.
  16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I love home made soups and have some most days, my current favourite is chestnut and mushroom. Real comfort food ! I also love red vegetable soup and parsnip soup. I don't use recipes, just throw everything in the soup maker and let it work it's magic.

westie~ma likes this.
  17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Let me know how you get on with it. Am tempted to get book.

Heard an interview with him, trying to be veggie but if a friend invites him to their house and they've cooked non veggie he will eat it, or if he fancies meat he'll eat it ... a more relaxed version which appealed to me :Shy

18. rottiepointerhouse

Will do. In the interview I read he said he is 80% vegan, 15% vegetarian and the other 5% anything goes especially when he has been to the pub.

westie~ma likes this.
  19. rottiepointerhouse

I've had a good look through and there are some good looking recipes that are not too complicated. He calls them hearty vegan and vegetarian recipes for meat lovers. I think there are more vegetarian than vegan recipes but I can easily adapt them. Going to try the rich lentil bolognese first I think.

westie~ma likes this.
  20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Not necessarily a favorite, but an easy dinner when I’m in a rush. Canned black beans, corn, and a jar of salsa all mixed up on a pot makes a lovely bean soup. Add a good, hearty bread and it’s a decent meal that even fills up teenagers :)
    When OH makes it, he also adds veggie crumbles, but I’m not a huge fan of fake meat substitutes, but for those who are...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice