Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Youngster Terrified of Tractors

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by xbumblebeex84x, Apr 11, 2011.

1. xbumblebeex84x

xbumblebeex84x PetForums Newbie

I have owned my 13.2hh cob for over a year now, he was backed & ridden at his previous home (but very poorly looked after, hence why I just had to take him) I was told he was 4 yrs old but discovered closer to 2 yrs... Therefore he has been turned away until now.

I have continued to bring him in for brushing, feet care etc & now starting to work him again.

He will be for hacking only & hoping to break him to drive, therefore for his usage, I have decided to lead him around the quiet lanes & get some traffic experience under his belt rather than too much boring schooling that he doesnt like (he pulls toward the gate being lunged, long reined or ridden!)

He is very calm & relaxed with most things in his life, except tractors when out - he panics & tries to bolt, although he is not that strong & I can hold him, this is obviously not what we want for a childs pony!

He lives on a farm, so always sees tractors & never bats an eyelid!

He is kept with 3 other youngsters.

Do you think this is just a baby reacting to being taken away from his mates that he has such a bond with & will reduce with time & patience? Or do you think this may be the start of a problem?

Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks

2. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

Have you tried leading your youngster out with a more experienced horse in front. If he sees another horse passing a tractor without chaos then he is more likely to except that there is nothing to be fearful of. It takes practice and patience and a lot of praise when he does it well. Also lead him out in a bridle to give you more control.

Another thing that might help is if the handler remains calm. Don't go oh sh*t theres a tractor coming, panic! Go about it as there is nothing approching. If you fumble with the lead or be hesitant in any way even subconsiously he'll pick it up, and if your fearful, he will be. Walk along singing a song to yourself, keeps your breathing steady and calm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice