Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Young Robin

Discussion in 'Wildlife Gallery' started by wind1, Sep 19, 2016.

1. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

Have just come across this photo I took recently. We were at a National Trust property having a cup of tea and cake when this young robin came to join us.

IMG_4351.JPG

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I wonder why Robins seem to trust humans more than the average bird. Lets face it, nearly all birds could use us like they do :)

wind1 likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I know they always say that the reason robins follow us about looking for worms when we are gardening, is that they have always followed wild boar about when they are rooting around in woodland. So in other words, we are just perceived as some strange kind of wild boar.
    However I think there's more to it then that, robins do seem more attracted to humans then the average bird. I wonder if they are a bit more intelligent then the average small bird and have somehow worked out that humans respond well to a friendly bird and will often find food for them?

wind1 likes this.
  4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Lovely photo.

We've finally got a resident Robin back on my bird table. Not seen one for a while.

@Siskin Interesting thought. Do you think they could be that intelligent? They do seem to be waiting for something when they see you rather than just checking what you may have unearthed.

wind1 likes this.
  5. Siskin

They do don't they, often hear stories of robins tapping on windows to get people to bring some food.
    Years ago we used to live in North yorkshire and one year we had a lot of snow and ice which lasted for ages. We lived out in the dales in a small village and were more or less cut off for a week. I was taking the dog out one morning and as we walked along this tree lined path a blue tit kept flying at my face. I kept on walking and the bird followed me and when I paused it flew at my face again. Didn't touch me, just kept flitting about in front of my face as if trying to get my attention. I went back and got some food as I figured it could be hungry as everything was snow bound and frozen solid. The blue tit just pounced on the food, closely followed by a number of other birds.
    Never had anything like that happen again.

wind1 likes this.
  6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Brilliant :)

7. rona

Do you wear glasses?

8. Siskin

I do now, didn't then. Why do you ask?

9. rona

Blue tits are known for attacking their own reflection.

This one attacked itself in car mirrors and windows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor little thing was at it all the time because it was a place where there was virtually always a car parked

Jonescat, Valanita, wind1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Beautiful close up OP!

We had a Robin in our garden yesterday lunch time, I have never seen one here! It's great to know they are about :)

wind1 likes this.
  11. wind1

wind1 PetForums VIP

I cheated and cropped the original photo!

Muttly likes this.
  12. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Not cropped, he/she really was that close, I nearly had the camera up his/her nose.:D P1020820(1).JPG

wind1 and Jonescat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice