Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Young puppy questions - 4-5 weeks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lulubel, Oct 13, 2013.

1. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

I've just agreed to foster an abandoned puppy of about 4-5 weeks. Someone from the charity is bringing her over this evening, and they're lending me a puppy crate for her. I've got a few questions, and rather than badger the lady from the charity with them (since she's rushed off her feet), I'm hoping someone here can answer them.

Apparently, she's eating solid food well. The person who found her gave her some soaked puppy biscuits, and she managed those fine. I have some tins of Animonda Junior, so I assume she'll be OK with that.

I currently feed my lot 4 times a day. At that age, will she need to be fed more often?

I've never used a crate before, and intend to use it for overnight, when I'm out, and also if the boys are being a bit boisterous, and I need somewhere for her to be safe and out of their way. (Crates aren't really my "thing" so I'll try to use it as little as possible, but I'm aware she'll be looking for a permanent home when she's older, so I can't very well get her used to sleeping on my bed!)

How should I arrange the crate? I assume she'll toilet in it sometimes, at least at first. Should I put a puppy pad in there, or would that start her in a habit that's hard to break? (I bought puppy pads for Jimmy, but stopped using them very quickly, so I have quite a stash!)

I know she'll also need somewhere comfy to sleep, and water, in the crate. How is the best way to arrange everything?

I got Jimmy at about 8 weeks, so I know the routine of taking her out to toilet very frequently.

She's being checked over today by the charity's vet, to make sure there are no health issues. My 2 are also fully vaccinated.

Is there anything else I need to think about?

(My camera battery is on charge now, and of course there will be photos!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice