Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

young horse - Book suggestions?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding and Training' started by jessegee, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jessegee

jessegee PetForums Member

My field mate has a new young cob mare who has had a tough start in life and is a bundle of insecurities that often show in bolshy behaviour
    She is 4yrs unbroken, has had a major injury and possibly been weaned too early. She hasnt been broken and appears as an overgrown baby , with even the simplest things being a challenge for her and lack of boundary understanding.
    She has improved somewhat by me calmly standing my ground, and praising her for good behaviour so I must be doing something right , but I would like to know more for my own survival!

We have employed some Qs and calm handling techniques , but she sometimes freaks me out of my comfort zone with her barging and has a habit of bum turning on me. ( she has a lethal cow kick which she hasnt used on me yet because I have stood my ground but decreased any pressure )

Can anyone suggest a good book that covers non aggressive handling training ?

I have to bear in mind this is my field mates horse, so I cant interfer with her aims and plans but I need it for my own guidance. I do hope tho that we might both learn something from it .

any sensible suggestions welcomed !

jessegee

2. samhill

samhill PetForums Newbie

ya one of the book is very good that i have read thats "torque of the horses " if you get some time just buy and read it . you will love :rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5:

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

there are some very helpful videos on youtube.. cant think of any titles off hand but if you type tips for dealing with aggressive/bolshy horse you should get some vids come up. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with her though. keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice