Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Young children playing in 'car park' unsupervised.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shibby, Apr 12, 2011.

1. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I live in a complex and the grounds have some green areas but there's a fair bit of traffic as people are coming and going in cars and vans (there's about 70 parking places in this particular area alone) and a lot of hedges=blindspots. Now the warmer weather is here, the kids are out again. Last year, there was about 7/8 small children, all under 7 running about the grounds unsupervised, running out in the way of traffic. They don't stay on the grassy areas, they're mostly on the 'roads' and some drivers will drive quite fast. Their mothers are foreign and don't speak English so we can't go and have a word with them. What would you do? (if anything)...

2. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

We have a similar problem where we live, albeit not so many parking spaces and kids. I don't think it matters if you speak to the parents and they have a word with their kids, kids are kids and it tends to go in one ear and out the other anyway. They just seem to get so caught up in the moment and playing their game with their mates that they just 'forget' its a road.

The only thing we do around our way is drive reeeeeaaaaaaalllllly slowly. I know its a pain but we haven't found anything else that works.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I know what you're saying, it's just so reckless of the parents. The kids approach strangers, run in the roads, interfere with the parked cars, are constantly screaming (which upsets our dog and means we have to keep our windows closed in summer). I know 'kids will be kids' and all that but I've never heard/seen anything like it and it is an enclosed complex with a lot of elderly folk, you'd think the parents would be a little more considerate :rolleyes: Hopefully we'll be able to move soon! :D

4. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Bump :)...

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

run them over.

6. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

:lol: :lol: :lol: Short and sweet.

7. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i love kids me....

couldn't eat two tho.

8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

[​IMG]

9. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

I think unfortunately some people just can't be bothered. As long as what ever the issue is doesn't effect their little world, they don't give a t*ss about anyone elses concerns, but whoa betide you run little johnny/jilly over all hell would break loose. I wish communities would have more respect for each other. It makes my blood boil :mad:

10. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Exactly, they just can't be bothered, they throw them out in summer and let the whole complex put up with the screaming etc. so they can have a 'break'. They never come out to tell them to be quiet or stay off the road etc. And as much as the noise is irritating I am genuinely concerned about them just being left to run about in a car park, they're only tiny kids and it's not a playground.

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Sadly if the parents dont care enough to watch them children then I doubt anything can be done

Mine are 5 and 6 and although we have a patio type thing (we live ontop of shops) I always watch them I sit outside even if I have loads to do I can't leave them on their own they are sensible but still young!

There was a little boy last week no older then my son (6) who lived at the other end of our area about a 15-20min walk who was up out side my house playing!! I was like mmm wont your mum wonder were you are? He was like no she don't know I'm up here!!! :eek:

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Kids deserve to run around and play without a care in the world, it's what being a kid is all about.

People should drive slowly and let kids run free :)

13. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Wow, 6 years old! How awful. A lot of people just expect everyone else to mind their kids.

Nobody has a problem with kids running about :) We're in an enclosed complex with 200+ cars (vans/trucks too) in total, constantly coming and going and the areas they're left to play in unsupervised are not kid-friendly. They're very young, from about age 3-6 years. I think kids also deserve to have parents who give a toss about their welfare and aren't too lazy to get off their backsides and supervise them. I wish some of the people in here would drive slowly, but even with speed humps they don't :rolleyes:: But kids that young shouldn't be playing in the roads full stop in my opinion.

14. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

I grew up in an area like this!

We lived around the top car park and cars came and went mainly at work times, but we were all taught by our parents at a young age to watch out for traffic, plus anyone who lived in this carpark area knew kids played in the middle of the car park so never sped in.

We were kids, we shouted, fell over etc etc but no one ever complained and we had a wide range of people....altho one guy did get a 'No Ball Games' sign put up, yeah....we ignored it XD

Once older we went travelling the roads joining the 3/4 carparks, wether that be on a bike, skateboard, skates or on foot and we would be on the roads most of the time and shouting as we went and everyone who had to drive through the area knew there were kids that would play about.

Altho one thing we became very atuned to was the sound of the ice cream van XD He'd always stop up by the main road, so we'd hear him then run to our individual houses and get 50p and then go meet him when he came to the path running alongside the car park XD

15. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Some of the older kids who are visitors will play ball outside but they're older and more street savvy. The ones in question are very young, too young to be left on their own in a car park without supervision. Kids need to play etc. but it doesn't mean you can just turf them out and let everyone else look after them, at least not in my view. I find it quite sad.

16. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Im sure i was out playing in the car park by the AGE of 5 years old, i have pictures of me much younger but in the garden with my parents, we were allowed too leave the carpark once we were old enough and had proven we could be trusted out of sight and tbh we were all good kids around the area

17. chianya

chianya PetForums Senior

where i live its a new build but kids think its a toy town. There r 4 parks on it but that dont stop them all groupin together and runnin riot. There aged between 3 and 12. The bloke opposite us has 5 kids and his 3 year old was layin in the road i had to call my oh as he was due home and i was worried he would run her over. I have also found a 2 year old sittin on my doorstep cryin as she got left behind by the other kids. There r loads of car parks as the roads r very narrow and there not even straight. Every home has to have a car space hence loads of car parks which the kids think is great.

18. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Supervised by your parents whilst playing? These aren't. I wouldn't dream of letting really young children run around unaccompanied in a busy car park, I find it very irresponsible.

How sad :( Some people really don't give a crap do they?!

19. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I wont let my 8 and 6 year old out to play without an adult, i have a big back garden they can play on with all their toys and things where they are safe. i know they are not sensible enough to be trusted, the first mention of dogs and they would follow anyone anywhere to have a look. i do tell them all the time about the dangers but they are still young and i am their mum so i do what i can to protect them.

there are children as young as 3/4 who will come to see if mine can go out to play. more often than not the parents have no idea where they are :(

20. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

My parents couldnt watch us properly as our back door was down a path and behind a shed and we had a high wall around the top, so it wasnt easy for them too watch us, they'd have to be in the garden the whole time we were out and they wernt.

I guess our parents trusted us enough and the neighbour hood as it was full of kids

They never just put us out and had someone elses parents take care of us or not care, as if we were gone too long they'd come looking for us XD

Normally you'd hear us all so parents knew we were safe, plus someone was always watching, being so many kids there were dozens of eyes watching

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice