Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Young cat who won't eat.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JennieC, Jun 19, 2010.

1. JennieC

JennieC PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I have two year old cats (just regular moggy ones!). One of them (Mollie) is large and looks like a proper cat but the other (Lulu) is much smaller, thinner and still looks rather like a kitten.
    Lulu has taken to spending a very long time outside, although it's now summer and, obviously, she is an animal we feel that something is not quite right. They used to both be in very early in the morning for food, and would both turn up for dinner and lunch, however Lulu may not come in at all until well past the usual lunch time.
    We have also noticed that Lulu is not eating properly. She will bend down to her food, and then walk off. Or stay around whilst it's being prepared and walk off once it is put on the floor. We are becomming increasingly worried about her and put her in a separate room to eat from her sister, but even then she is not that interested.
    Because she is so small, we don't think that she can be eating elsewhere so why is she spending so much time out and then not eating once home?
    She is ok to be picked up and stroked (although she has never been overly friendly) and I have had a quick feel of her stomach and throat and there are no obvious lumps etc (of course I am not a vet, but even I would know if there's a lump in the wrong place).
    As I said, we are very worried about Lulu (her sister Mollie is absolutely fine).
    Has anyone got any suggestions to help or reasons for her acting so funny?
    ANYTHING would be much appreciated!!
    Thank you :)

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

If she's spending so much time outside she could be hunting and providing her own food. So then when she comes home, the food you put down just isn't interesting her as much as that bird/frog/mouse/rat/god knows what she's nabbing herself while she's out and about. And she stays out longer since she's no need to pop home for food.

Chyna is very small (looks like a 4-6 month old kitten, in actual fact she's 11), and has always been a bit take it or leave it with food, maybe it's a small cat thing lol.

Keep an eye on her weight, and if you're really worried pop her to the vets for a check up.

3. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Have a look at her teeth & gums if she is going to eat then backing off :(

4. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

I would be tempted to keep her in and monitor her feeding closely until you're sure that's not an issue - if she still doesn't eat when she doesn't have access to outside I would nip her to the vets for checks xxx

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Keeping her in means you can also monitor the Other End - just to check she's pooing & peeing normally which will help with a diagnosis if she needs the vet.

6. JennieC

JennieC PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for all these suggestions! I really appreciate it! My family seems to have a nack for picking the awkward cats haha!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice