Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Young Border Collie now fixed on shadow and light ...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by confusedowner, Dec 21, 2017.

1. confusedowner

confusedowner PetForums Newbie

Hello my border collie not only barks at us for coughing, sneezing or blowing our nose, but has also been leaving teeth marks on my walls due to seeing shadows or light on it. She drools and pants too or licks the wall . All this is done in front of us, she gets exercised and played with. She has selective hearing too with a terrible recall. She passed her bronze and silver kennel club good citizen a few months ago, since then she has started doing this. She only seems to settle down if l put the lead on her in the house I have to leave the curtains closed when we are going out and cannot switch the Christmas lights on for fear she might chew the wire. she will be 2 in February and l have booked her in to see the vets tomorrow for a check up. Has anybody else come across this ? If so, how did you stop it ?

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think you should see what your vet says first but some dogs can get a kind of OCD with lights on walls. Break your dog's focus by body blocking the wall and moving her away. The selective hearing is probably due to her age as is the crap recall. Training and patience should work sooner or later. And remember BCs are well-known to have weird behaviours and fixations.

3. confusedowner

Thanks Mirandashell. Yes l read about the OCD, l did wonder if mine might have it. She gets under the christmas tree at the moment. We've had to put things around the tree to try and stop her.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I think management of her behaviours is the best way to go at the moment. It may be worth trying to find a behaviourist who has experience of border collies. Definitely don't go to one who advocates dominance/alpha/who's the boss training. That tends to shut down BCs and make things worse.

There's a few people on here who have BCs. Unfortunately I can't tag them as I have a memory like a Swiss cheese but hopefully they will be along soon.

confusedowner likes this.
  5. confusedowner

Thanks, yes l think you are right. A behaviourist was going to be my next thing after the vets. i believe they can be quite pricey

6. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Check with your insurance company as they do sometimes include behavourists. If you don't have insurance, it might be worth finding out how much one would be. I've never used one so don't know.

7. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Unfortunately this kind of obsessive is something that can happen with some collies and other herding breeds.
    It is a serious issue that I would absolutely get a professional involved to help.
    @Twiggy is very experienced in general and specifically with collies. Hopefully she will see this and will be able to recommend some good professionals in your area. Where in general are you located?

8. confusedowner

Thankyou , she has become unpredictable at the moment too. i daren't leave her alone with my 8 year old.

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Whereabouts are you (assuming UK)?

Shadow chasing is one of the many foibles that can cause huge problems with collies and is sounds with your bitch that it has already become well practised. You need help and quickly which is why I'm asking your location.

ouesi likes this.
  10. confusedowner

Sorry for the late reply. Last night we went to the vets. After explaining what she has been doing he said.... He has seen this before and after trying various things the outcome isn't good. He said its to do with the way her brain is wired. That she would become aggressive and be a risk to others.After a lot of tears l had her pts. If there had been a solution that would of been guaranteed then I'd of done it . I can't keep a dog which was already showing aggressiveness . Thankyou for your replies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice