Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You would think a 7 month-nearly 8 month old puppy would be toilet trained by now

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

But no...his latest experiment is to now piss us all off and pee around the house when we're not around :( I thought he was doing really well, until recently.

I mean even yesterday i had taken both dogs out for a walk as well. And we all went out late afternoon and Mika hadn't been left alone longer than 2 hours - what does my sister come home to find? Puppy wee and puppy poo! This morning i found he'd wee'd on poor dante's bed and when my mum came down he'd gone and wee'd in a little corner!

I thought the testing period would've been over by now...but no. Still testing us Grrrr!

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Wow, it sounds like you are angry with the dog. It is NOT the dog's fault. He obviously hasn't been trained properly.

Have you tried crate training?

3. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Hi!
    Maybe you need to go back to basics again with him and take him out every 20 mins or so, after eating, playing, sleeping etc... go outside with him and when he goes praise loads!!!

Thats what i would try, maybe (and i dont mean this in a bad way) you became a little off guard with taking him outside as you thought he had it sussed!

Back to the start i think is the best option.....he will soon get it!

:)

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

excuse me yes we have :( I have had dogs my whole life so i find it offensive that you say we haven't 'trained' him properly :(

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hannah he's been going out regularly all by himself now - the back door is open. He just decides to make a mess when we're NOT at home. Grrr!

6. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Probably seperation anxiety?

7. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Oh i see, maybe it is some form of seperation anxiety. Im not sure what else to suggest. Im sure someone that has had some experience of this will help soon.
    Maybe put some paper down when he is alone to try and get him to go in the same place if he has to go. Or crate him, thats your other option i suppose.

:)

8. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Lilly does this occasionally, it's a form of mild SA.
    I've come to accept that unless I crate her when I'm out I'll probably not stop it all together.

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i think it is SA. Although why its happening now when he was doing great up until now i do not know!

I am dreading when my sis goes to Australia because no one will be at home with him throughout the day - although my dad is with him in the mornings Tues-Fri till 11:30. I hope the anxiety of being left alone ends soon.

But he's not really alone - he has Dante - silly boy lol!

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I agree with that, my Bichon starting going through that from 12 months onwards and I would leave him in the kitchen for 25 minutes max whilst I took my daughter to school and he would get so worked up and would just keep jumping up at the gate (I looked through the front window and saw him) and was all wet round his mouth with stress. He also wee'd and poo'd everywhere and it really got me down having to come back to that after only 25 minutes. He's fine though now and when we do all have to go out which isn't that often as if I go out my teenagers are usually in - he's not shut in any particular room and is happy if he can sit on the back of the chair looking through the window.:rolleyes:

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky was still having accidents at that age and even now she has her moments :) There's no set age that they will be trained by, they'll get it when they're ready!

12. WTOnline

WTOnline PetForums Junior

On my website there are some great training tips as well as a crate training PDF that you can follow closely. I have trained many challenging dogs and these tips are a start in the right direction. Your dog may be confused as there may be a lack of consistancy in your attempts. The key to training is repatition. Please go to Welcome | www.waggintailsonline.com and go under "Find a Pet". There you will find some basic training tips as well as a crate training PDF. I hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be to have a pet that isn't trained. It takes all the joy of having a pet away.

13. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yep sounds like it

14. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

My 11 month old collie has only really just house trained but he did wee yesterday morning before i could get down the stairs, if he gets access to the kitchen he will wee and poop even right in front of me, not long ago he cocked his leg up me while i was sat on the couch then did it to my son a few weeks later.

my four yr old regularly poops, tonight i nipped out for half an hour, back door open child at home came back to poop on the floor :(

Think there is only my 11 yr old that is completely ok.

15. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Dont worry some dogs are just a bit slow I think. Buster was still having "forgetful" moments up til 8 or so months (only pee at that point though)! It is frustrating and immensly annoying but its all part and parcel of dog ownership. Dogs are individual and learn at different rates, dont get disheartened :) Just keep up the good work.

16. Maybe he is still able to smell where he had his little accidents when her were younger and thinks its OK to go there! remember his nose is a lot sharper then yours!

17. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I agree it could be a case of SA, although if you just leave the door open and expect him to go out by himself, then it may be that he hasn't been trained as thoroughly. They are all different and while some are clean very quickly, others take more time and effort. I would go back to basics with him and take him out regularly - go out with him, don't expect him to go by himself, and praise him when he goes outside.

TBH, leaving a 7/8 month old puppy alone all day is not ideal and certainly won't help. Can you get someone to call in a few times and take him out while your is away. Leaving him all that time certainly won't help with the SA either if that is the cause.

18. pets-life

pets-life Banned

19. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Bear cant be trusted over night with the run the house there will be poo and wee everywhere if he was allowed down stairs, but if we shut the stair gate on the stairs he wont go its only if hes allowed down stairs!!

Zeb used to do it when we left him, but touch wood hes been ok since around 6months, i would always take him for a walk before we went out that seems to help abit as he'd wee most of his wee out

20. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

he's doing better guys :) Testing phase is over

Although i'm not looking forward to the time when my sister leaves the country and he's left alone a lot longer - that will be fun - NOT!!!!!! God

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice