Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You would of though an 1 hour and Half

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Hachiko, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko PetForums Member

Was long enough for a walk for a 5 month Samoyed ... obviously not. I though i would try adding an extra half and hour to our walk, but to no avail.

As soon as we get in doors he goes and has a sip of water and then goes crazy with his toys, running up and down from one room to the other.

What ever next :tongue: Any ideas?

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

It may well be adrenaline from the walk / over tiredness?

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Perhaps you are adding to the problem by walking him more and creating an exercise junky! Also, what about removing the toys? I would say you need to teach your dog how to settle because at 5 months old, 1.5 hours walk should physically be more than adequate.

4. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I used to walk mine 3 walks of at least an hour each and he became more and more hyper. We cut this down to two and it made such a difference, he had to learn to settle (not easy but essential) and became much more laid back.

I would really recommend you spend more time on training, playing, mental stimulation as this will wear them out way more than a walk. We regularly take ours into town and it exhausts him with all the strange noises, smells, interactions.

Good luck!

5. Hachiko

Hachiko PetForums Member

Well i will admit, he has settled down a lot quicker tonight, thanks to the exta half hour. :)

He is now happily chewing his bone!

6. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

I assumed you should only walk around 5 min per month of age when they are a pup as their legs are growing and its too much for the joints? Maybe this is only the case with Labradors?

7. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

We stopped walking our 5 month old Husky first thing on a morning as he was coming home so PUMPED full of adrenaline and not settling throughout the day. We have also drastically cut back his walks and believe it or not he's more content to be lazy. Don't over compensate with him or you will create an adrenalin junky as noted above.

Just think if you walk him 90 minutes now, when he's older he's going to need 3/4/5/6 hours of walking?!

Yes 1 and a half hours is too long to walk a pup, 5 minutes for every month so cut it back to 25 minutes you'll see a huge improvement. Sometimes dogs " Act out" when being over tired, just like children.

8. Hachiko

Hachiko PetForums Member

I will give all the advice mentioned above a go, thanks a lot guys! :)

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Correct, that's the same for all breeds.

A 5 month old puppy should be walked 25 minutes broke up in to 2 or 3 walks a day[/B], 6 months old 30 minutes a day, and so on until they are about 9 months old but the bigger breeds it should be longer. We keep the 5 minute rule up for 12 months with Dillon.

If you carry on the way you are going, you could do your puppies hips a great deal of damage, causing a lot of problem for him in later life.

10. ellenlouisepascoe

We've been doing 25 minutes , 3 times a day.
    I don't think Blade would cope with 3 x 9 minute walks

11. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

If your walking him on lead, it's way way way to long for a puppy. Just walking him is not going to tire him out.

Try some training when you, some recall work, a bit of hide and seek, stuff to engage his brain too.

It's a very long walk for a pup if it's on lead.

12. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

That really is too long for a puppy of that age in one go. What you are seeing is the adrenalin he has built up as he's run out of stamina for what you are asking him to do - he's got all the energy from the adrenalin but it's fake. I think of it as borrowed from the end of his life.

Lots of people see this behaviour at the end of a walk (and sometimes on it) and think the dog needs more exercise, but they need less - or at least in much shorter bursts. I would be doing 2 x 30 min walks with a puppy that age (although I'm not experienced with that breed so 3 x 30 might be more appropriate), plus play and training sessions through the day, with naps in between each walk.

13. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

If he is free running I would think it was still way too long, if not more so as he will be covering more ground.

Short walks and training or "brain games" and playing in the house/garden do more to get a puppy tired than walking alone.

Turn the gas fire or central heating on and it works even better - mine are all on the rug next to the gas fire tonight, I have not seen them move for the last hour!

14. MrG

MrG PetForums Member

hmmmm...that is alot. my flattie is now 9months and 60-70mins of exercise up our local green playing with lots of other dogs means I get a good 2-3hrs of peace after :)

have you tried doing it this way rather than a straight walk? also big bowl of food immediatly after his walk will make him more sleepy.

15. Meezey

Also a big bowl of food after his walk could give him Bloat, so not something I'd be recommending...

16. ellenlouisepascoe

I think I do it backwards, I always feed mine before they go for a walk about 1.5 - 2 hours before.

Or are there others who feed this way too?

17. MrG

MrG PetForums Member

To clarify we walk back from the park for 10mins and by the time I feed him he's not panting or hot. I'd be more worried about feeding him too close to his walk prior to it.

18. Meezey

Rather like before exercise is it recommended that you don't feed for at LEAST an hour after exercise, not immediately after a walk as you recommended.

19. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Jaxon used to be a bugger for settling after a walk...
    I found once we came home I gave him a drink and went and did something..
    Usually housework... :001_rolleyes:
    But Jax quickly learnt that after walkies was time to calm down and have a nap...
    now after he's had a drink he takes himself off to bed.

20. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I never feed mine before a walk, think bloat is more common in these cases. He gets his when back from a walk usually an hour later, but he is never panting or still in recovery.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice