Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You have got to read this..I couldn't believe my eyes!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kidsandcats, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Was just searching on various subjects on cats, mainly about litter and which breeds are more likely to be lap cats and which tend to roam etc and found this!!!

If cats are free to roam like rats/mice, etc can I treat them as vermin and if they enter my garden, could i let my jack russell have a go?

I know if you hit one in a car you don't have to stop or report it, but you do if you hit a dog.

I am not Anti all cats, just the ones that people let roam and burry their poo under my plants and kill them. i just want to know if i will be in trouble with the fuzz if i let my dog attack a cat in my garden?

Can you believe it!!!!!!!

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

There are some horrible people out there, I have lost count of the amount of people who snear and turn away when you say you have cats (like they have a bad smell under their noses). My three cats are outside/inside cats and I feel it would be cruel to suddenly stop them going out, but if I ever get another cat he/she will not be allowed out because of this type of scumbag.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i have this everyday at work.
    as some of you may no i live and breathe my cat, so when i talk about him few ppl sneer and walk away.

wats the deal? its like sayin to someone if your child comes inmy garden to fetch its ball can i shoot it.

oh yea go ahead like id care. wtf.

ooooo some ppl frustrate me. times like these i wish i had a magic wand to irradicate them

4. saintsladyp

saintsladyp PetForums Newbie

That is quite disturbing! I think that there are some really uneducated people out there when it comes to our precious furries.

5. Jewel

Jewel PetForums Junior

just to give my two pennyworth.......before I erected a fence round my front lawn, I was continually clearing up behind other peoples dogs!!! so really it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Before my little dog passed on last year I was very fussy about clearing up behind her, but we have to face the fact that not everyone has the same standards. Annoying, but a fact.

6. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Sounds like the person has already made their mind up, the sicko, I get angry when dog owners let their dog foul, they pick up if they are seen but walk past it if they think they havn't, but it's not the dog's fault, & most owners are realy good, cat's keep virmin down, for goodness sake. They have def made up their minds what they want to do.

7. thedogsmother

I would like to see him set his dog on one of my cats (Elvis), he thinks dogs are put on this world to be taught a lesson by him and put in their place:D, that includes poor Henrick.:(

8. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

That is a common attitude about free roaming moggies Im afraid.

Basically its not surprising that some people feel that way - I breed and show cats and therefore have quite a few but the ones that are outside are safely contained in outdoor enclosures in my back garden so are not considered a problem by anyone.

I do however have a problem with the local cats that come into my garden and upset mine by spraying around and trying to do their business in my garden, :cursing: they are a big nuisance but its their feckless owners that let them roam around unspeyed and unneutered that I have an issue with. They also need to realise that they are putting their cats at risk by allowing them free access anywhere. One of my neighbours was warned about her cat regularly visiting a garden that belonged to an Akita - she insisted her cat could go where it pleased until one day she was handed a bin liner containing her dead cat by the owner of the dog - that poor cat died a horrible death but you cant blame the dog or its owner as she then tried to do. :mad:

9. thedogsmother

One of my neighbors complained the Elvis was going in her house when the door was open, there were veiled threats so I bought her a water pistol and gave her permission to squirt him if he went in her house. She did squirt him and he hasn't been to visit her since, it caused him no injury and I still have a good relationship with her. My cats are all neutered before they are ever allowed out of the house so they never really go very far anyway. I do think peoples attitudes towards cats have changed recently, it seems ok to hate cats nowadays, I keep my three in for a fortnight around bonfire night and they are crazy for those two weeks but I would love to be able to encourage them to be inside cats as I don't think they are safe anymore.

10. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

It's really sad but the middle statement is actually true:( I think it's very unfair that the law treats cats as a lesser beings than dogs. If you accidentally hit a dog in a car you have to stop and report it. You don't if you hit a cat.

Do you think we should start a petition for the law to be changed?

Kori

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

People who think like that about ANY animal are disgusting and shouldn't be allowed animals OR reproduce imo!!!!

12. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Good idea, cats should have equal status to dogs and their owners should be bound by the same rules as dog owners - all cat owners will then have to be more responsible or face fines - Im all for it. :) I can then look forward to prosecuting cat owners who allow their cats to foul on my property.

13. kidsandcats

Hi Kori
    I think any animal has a right to be helped if in trouble or in pain and I would certainly stop if I hit a cat even though the 'law' says you don't have to. I think any problems we all encounter with certain pets, be it cats or dogs, is to do with the owners not the animals themselves. Yes outdoor cats do roam and do their business in gardens but at least they cover it! And a responsible owner would ensure theyre cats are spayed or neutered and vaccinated before letting them out. We have a real problem where I live with dogs doing their business and owners not picking it up. I am not saying all owners are like that. I have owned dogs and was always responsible and cleared up after them. I know cats can be annoying when they come into your garden and spray and use your flower beds as their litter tray but what sort of person would let their dogs attack it. There are lots of things on the market you can get to use as a deterrent. My inlaws have those sensors that let out a high pitch noise and it works for them. With regards to a petition, I would certainly sign one if I thought it would make a difference but I don't think you can change some peoples attitudes can you?

That aside, any updates with your new kittens. Have you bought anything yet? I am looking at enclosures and cat trees at the moment.
    Sharon
    x

14. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hi!

I know a lot of people will stop, no matter what animal they hit - but then there are those that don't. However, because the law says you HAVE to stop if you hit a dog, then it forces them to stop.

I think the law should say that you should stop for cats too and check to see if it's hurt and if it belongs to someone. We used to have a cat in our old house and we are pretty sure he got run over. We'll never know for sure. If the driver had stopped they would have been able to contact us and at least we'd have known what happened.

I don't know how to make a petition though. How do you go about it?

Kori

15. kidsandcats

I'm not sure. Maybe we should google and find out?
    Sharon
    x

16. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

My brother had a go at me for braking when a squirrel refused to move - there was no one behind me so no danger in causing a crash!

This is precisely why I keep my cats indoors. Some people are just looking for something to kill for fun.

17. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Well I don't know who we would send a petition to but I would certainly sign it.

I think it's wrong that cat's don't have the same rights as dogs.
    My cat is indoor only but I would always stop for a cat on the road and call a vet if found one injured.

18. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

One word for them B A S T A R D S :cursing: Sorry to most responsible Dog owners BUT there is alot that wander of and don't watch what there dog is doing especially on the beach......... next thing is some poor little toddler has trodden in it NICE !!!! Say no more ................................

#18 Midnight, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  19. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

I do believe that cats should have same rights as dogs but cat owners think nothing of it that their cats wander round and shite in peoples gardens. Dont get me wrong there are plenty of dog owners who let their dogs poo anywhere and Im equally against this, but why should I have to go out every morning and pick someone else's pets shite up?????

Rant over! :D

20. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

We actually had a dog pooing in our gardens !!!!!! cos the person down the road used to let his Dalmatian run free of the lead my neighbour actually put up a poster out side her house and he ignored it !!!!!!!! :mad: so we all complained and now he walks it on a lead :D x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice