Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by paddyjulie, Jan 29, 2012.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Can you?

just thinking about taking mavis to an obedience dog training class..Obv. this would take time with her being so nervous..but could it work?

she has just turned seven :D and knows the very basics...

should have done it years ago, i know ..but i didn't..now i take chester there , i think..mmm

2. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

There was an 8 year old rescue staffie in one of my classes - he had just passed his KCGC award at silver level ... Having had to have 1-2-1 lessons at first after he was adopted, as he was dog aggressive on lead...

I think you should go for it, it'd probably be fun - and if it's not, or Mavis doesn't enjoy it, you could always stop ...

Naomi xx

3. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes you can most certainly teach an old dog new tricks....:smile5:

Providing the instruction is of good quality and the class is well structured I would think you'd both enjoy it.

4. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I think you should take her along! :) My boy Tobey was a rescue who was about 5 years old when I got him; he was very fearful and now he'll approach anyone/anything.

5. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

i think what it is..is, that i have found a training class that is very calm only seven dogs at the max per class...when i took buster my first bullie there must have been 25 dogs plus in the class....how can one learn?

yeah think i will try it with her...

6. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I think its a great idea, may even help with her confidence issues.
    Hope she enjoys it:D

7. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

Every year at one of the colleges nearby, one of the tutors runs a dog training/handling course. Each year there are new students but every year the tutor uses her own dogs who are 8, 9 and 11. The reason I noticed them was because they are Viszlas. Every year she gets the students to train them to do something they've never done before across the fields. Never say never to any dog of any age. My V is 11 and I'm still training him to do different things. As they get older, they are also more in tune with you as their owner so sometimes its easier! HAVE FUN!:)

8. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

They're never too old to learn something new. Rupert was still learning aged 9, so was Shadow. Wolf learned hand signals at 12 when he went deaf.

9. deybecumu

deybecumu PetForums Junior

OR you are never too old to learn...........Interesting point, 400 years ago the saying was... Its hard to make an olde dogge stoop and 100 years later it was............. Its hard to teach an old dogs trick. A much more positive attitude than today don't ya think? No CAN'T in there!

#9 deybecumu, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

The class you describe sounds perfect for Mavis. Not all on top of each other and manic!

I can only talk about Tink, but she loves her classes and her confidence has grown so much from being around other dogs in a controlled environment :)

Ps: I have a crush on Mavis more pics!

11. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Coles is a very obedient dog however, I had to teach him to leave the cat (rescued from shed in April) alone and he was 11 at the time.

I also crate trained Coles at 12 years of age (he was 12 in October). So yes, IMO you can teach an old dog tricks. They may not learn as quick as when they were younger, but it's doable.

Good luck at the training class, I'm sure your furbaby will be fine :)

12. 7 is a great age to start earning new things! My dogs are taught new things up until they either go blind, deaf or senile. The more things a dogs brain gets to do, the younger it stays. Go for it! Good Luck. Denise

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice