Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

You asked for it! Now you have to watch it :P

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by O2.0, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:12 AM.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

It's pretty rough around the edges, but I finally got a video up about helping a dog who's not particularly interested in food.

#1 O2.0, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:12 AM
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021 at 2:21 AM
    cbcdesign, Sairy, Teddy-dog and 10 others like this.
  2. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I will give this a watch when I have finished my morning walks

O2.0 likes this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Awww I love it!

O2.0 likes this.
  4. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Well, if that’s ‘rough round the edges’, I’m looking forward to seeing a smooth one! Great video (in my humble opinion.) :)

ForestWomble and O2.0 like this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I feel like some of the video transitions are a little disjointed, and I don't like how the audio on the voiceover changes, but I did it over several days so I guess next time I'll have to do it all at once.

Biggest thing, I hope it's accessible and understandable for anyone wanting to improve their dog's food motivation.

I do have to laugh though, this thread has over 100 views but only 3 comments, the video itself only has 14 views and I'm sure some of those are robots LOL.
    @cbcdesign whatever the secret is, clearly I haven't cracked it!

6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

1 more now...Love it :D

Sarah H and O2.0 like this.
  7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Just watched, fantastic video, as @Ian246 said if that's rough around the edges, then I too am looking forward to seeing a smooth one. I've watched quite a few different you tube trainers and I loved the way you did that video, I would certainly watch any videos you upload. Well Done :)

#7 ForestWomble, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:21 PM
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    O2.0 likes this.
  8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh thank you! That's very kind!

9. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums VIP

I thought it was great,love the comment that if the dog can eat,the dog can think,it makes so much sense.Thanks for sharing it.

O2.0 likes this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Thank you!
    I'll have to do a reactivity video eventually too. It will be harder to get that footage though! Not that I don't have plenty of material, it's just a question of having enough hands to video while dealing with the screaming potato! :D

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

When I first got Tilly she wouldn't take treats from you so I started off by throwing them on the floor.
    I didn't really know why that might be a good starting point so its particularly interesting to learn the thinking behind it, that will help me remember for the future.
    The only youtube videos I've seen are the ones people link on here and I often find them a bit boring as sometimes its just the same long clip, or each clip goes on too long.
    Having a short attention span for anything not on the tv I found you had the perfect balance to be engaging, Penny's enthusiasm helps too :D

O2.0 likes this.
  12. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Oh yes please! If possible could you mention what to do when you can't get a good enough distance away from the trigger?

My problem is I know the 'text book' thing to do (work out what distance your dog needs to not be over threshold and gradually work to getting closer) but where I live I can't get that distance, I'd need to be able to get onto rooftops and see how many roofs away we need before he's OK :rolleyes:)

Sarah H, JoanneF and O2.0 like this.
  13. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I viewed the thread earlier to see what it was about but haven’t had chance to watch the video yet! I will do when I’m back home as it sounds super interesting :)

O2.0 likes this.
  14. Bizzi Kizzi

Bizzi Kizzi PetForums Junior

Very informative.

You said that found treats are always more valuable than treats that are handed out. This makes a lot of sense to me, because when Rikki's recall fails, it's usually because she is off scavenging for food. (Although cats and squirrels are also a problem.)

O2.0 likes this.
  15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Great video loki likes looking for food. He reacted quite badly to a spaniel a few weeks ago and we dropped quite a few treats in the process. I just moved him on. As it was a circular walk we came back to the spot we had dropped them but they were gone ! He spent ages looking in the end I had to hide some more.

O2.0 likes this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh thank you! Glad you liked the format. I was thinking I needed more cool graphics and attention getters LOL

The textbook way never lines up to reality does it? :)
    I agree, there needs to be a plan for what to do when the usual techniques fail. I'll work on something :)

Yup has something to do with the 'seeking' part of the brain and food that they scavenge/find on their own has an additional dopamine effect. Which makes sense for an animal that's a scavenger!

Sarah H and ForestWomble like this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Just got the chance to watch this now, well done it was awesome. Nice to set Bates in there too.

I find Timber places far higher value on food he has had to work for, in fact if he is a bit reluctant to eat I can get him to take some if I ask for some behaviours first, a sit or a down or a high five is often enough.

O2.0 likes this.
  18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yeah, that was hard. Hard to decide if I wanted to put him in there or not, and hard to watch once he was in :(

StormyThai likes this.
  19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Hugs.

O2.0 likes this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Just watched it. It was a very good training video. As you know I do not train with treats, never have and maybe never will unless I end up with a dog that needs it. Oddly where we have moved to I see a LOT of dogs on every walk. Most are off the lead and very responsive. The only people I have seen using treats are those with extremely bad mannered dogs on the lead. I have seen quite a few with balls though and there is an amazing number of spaniels who respond to their balls very well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice