Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yorkshire Terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Aug 18, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Iv just seen someone local to me selling Shih Tzu's X Yorkshire Terriers...had a browse on net and there are so many Yorkies for sale on places like epupz...Id never buy from there, but Im assuming that not all of these are KC registered as there seem to be so many of them.

I know were talking about little dogs here, so do they have any health problems?

The ones iv seen for sale are up for £350 and come with first injections apparently.

Im just curious as to why there are so many around, when i thought they were fairly hard to come by.

Thanks

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They're popular the latest trend for little pursedogs but they need a hell of a lot of exercise my neighbours dog were walked for 2 hours a day.
    The health problems
    Some Yorkies are prone to bronchitis and early tooth decay, poor tolerance of anaesthetic, and delicate digestion. Exotic treats should be avoided. They sometimes suffer paralysis in the hindquarters caused by herniated disks and other problems of the spine. Falls or knocks can cause fractures of fragile bones. Abnormal skull formations in Yorkies measuring less then 8 inches (20cm). Bitches often have trouble delivering. The very tiny "teacup" Yorkies often have serious health and behavioral problems. Be sure to feed Yorkies dry food (canned food can be added) to help keep their teeth clean and strong. They should get their teeth cleaned at the Vet to keep them from falling out and creating infection.

3. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

theres lots od yorkies here and yorkie cross they are nearly all crazy little things that like to try and take on the world lol

Im not sure about health problems, ive known a few not to have any teeth even at a youngish age (7-8yrs old) they then yap with a mouth full of gums :)

4. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

my OH has a Yorkie, he's a sweet little dog :) bit timid though..... and he doesn't like walking LOL we took him out yesterday and practically had to drag him :laugh:

he's got lovely fur though, he's a very pale blue and tan :)

5. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I know loads of Yorkies. Maybe because I am in Yorkshire:D

6. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info people!

Rona, your post looks especially cheerful lol!

7. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

I have a yorkie! not had many probs with him really well nothing serious anyway, just what people have mentioned and they are prone to tracheal collapse. and dental probs, also recently seen quite alot that have become diabetic so making sure they have a healthy diet is essential! but they are lovely, mines a standard size one and he loves walking spesh were its peaceful in nature reserve, hes going on 9 now and starting to show a few probs with his legs so keeping an eye on that. seems to have put quite bit of wieght on in last couple of months that we dont understand howhe has as nothing has changed.

lovely breed through even if it is a biased comment!!! :D

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

My great grandma also used to breed Yorkies many years ago, I think she had a lot of success in the show ring with them :) my mum said she used to have over 20 of them at a time, but they were all beautifully well looked after :) unfortunately she passed away before I was even born so I never knew her... my mum said a few celebrities bought her pups though ;) :D

9. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

I have a Yorkshire Terrier she is 20 months old she is Pedigree and cost £500. I had one before her and she lived to 16 years. I love them they are brilliant little dogs. The one I have now is just over 2kgs but the other one was 3 times her size.
    They can have Patella and Teeth problems.

10. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

I have a 7 year old yorkie bitch called lulu (in avatar pic) and she is one of the most gorgeous dogs I have ever had.

She gets on with our three cats, labrador and absolutely adores our new kittens. Her temperament is to die for (she even submitted to my friends guinea pig not so long ago!).

Lulu loves her walk,s is in excellent health, doesn't seem to moult and is adored by all who meet her. :D Whether this is typical of the breed I am not sure but going on Lulu I would not hesitate to own another one.

11. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

Yorkies do not moult. My little girl is the same she has a wonderful temperament and everyone loves her. She hardly ever barks and is so well behaved.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice