Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yorkshire terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by susieash, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susieash

susieash PetForums Newbie

I my name is susieash i have a 18 week old yorkshire terrier pup which is a girl she is weeing and phooing in the house when it is wet can anyone tell me how old will this stop

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

It will stop when she is thoroughly house trained, but this will not happen quickly if she continues having accidents.

Pups generally do not have much voluntary control until about 5 months of age, so when they need to go they cannot hold on for long, like a toddler who says they want the potty as the wee trickles down their legs :D

You need to be thorough in your approach and TAKE her out every time she wakes up, has food a drink plays and every half hour in between, and you must STAY out with her until she goes and praise her up to the skies.

Do not shout at her for going indoors as she will just sneak off to do it behind your back, and you need to use a cleaner that is biological, or solution of vinegar or bicarbonate of soda.

Do not let her have too much freedom in the house unless you are watching her every second.

toy breeds can sometimes be very hard to house-train.

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

very well explained brainless,,, :D:D:D

4. susieash

Thanks Brainless for the advise the last two mornigs when I have got up the area where she sleeps has been clean no mess and she is starting to let me know when she needs to go outside.
    I have noticed with her when it is raining she wont go out and she does not like the dark. :)

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my pup didnt like going for a wee in the dark when he was younger, so we baught an ouside light and put that on when we took him out for a wee or a poo, it worked wonders

6. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Make sure rain or shine that you go out with her - she'll catch on really quickly if you are there to tell her what a special, wonderfully brilliant little girl she is for doing wee wees/poos outside:)

7. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

Great looks like shes learning, lots of praise when she does poop and wee outisde but of course lots of stick when seh does it inside. It will catch on....hopefully you won't need to rub her nose in it!

8. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Sorry colacooler but I totally disagree with 'lots of stick when she does it inside' - whatever that means!! Ignore the bad and praise the good - if you start making a song and dance about it when she has a hiccup she'll just start doing it all the more - unless you catch them at it they dont even have a clue what it is that you are going on about. That is, of course, just my humble opinion:rolleyes:

9. susieash

Thanks to all.for your posts the person we brought the dog from said she would paper train it for me while i went to scotland they have three dog fully grown amd i dont think they are tained as well so I think that if the fully grown dogs are not trained my dog will be harder than if she came from a different home

10. susieash

I think my dog is learning,she knows when she has done wrong
    So my be it's finally starting to sink in

11. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

thats good news it can take some time but they get there in the end :)

12. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

very nice explanation. i don't think you're a brainless.LOL

13. colacooler

colacooler PetForums Junior

Don't be so soft! The dog has to know it's done wrong. Worked well for all of mine!

Dogs are clever, they very quickly associate peeing in the house with being told off, and they hate it!

14. Yep...Seems to be Brainless is the wrong name...Should be something like Brainpower, or Brainattack!:D

15. susieash

I agree with you I have noticed that if you treat her like a baby she starts doing it inside but if you are stirct with her she is great

16. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Trouble is some of them will just learn that it is peeing that you object to and not peeing indoors, so they won't go in your sight, and wait until your not around or sneak into another room.

The best thing is to ignore accidents, if caught in the act whisk outside (no telling off) and then praise when they finish outside.

If your pup is sensitive telling off can really make things worse, and undermine your relationship.

17. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Thanks for that Brainless - I dont consider myself soft - far from it!!!

My methods have worked well for me - my last pup was clean during the day at 15 weeks so we didnt do too bad seen as we didnt get him til nearly 10 weeks old - and childish as this may be if there was a smiley with a sticky out tongue you'd be getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PMSL!!!!!

18. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

there is a smiley like that, here I'll do it for you hee he

:p there we go LOL;):D

Erin Doors likes this.
  19. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

:D:D Thanks Vixenelite - but I wanted more of a big raspberry one!!!

[​IMG] Like this or better still this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]:D:D:D:D:D

20. susieash

Does anybody know when a bitch has its first season a yorkshire terrier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice