Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yorkshire Terrier chewing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Adele Ward, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Adele Ward

Adele Ward PetForums Newbie

Hello I have an 11 week old Yorkshire Terrier who loves to chew! she has plenty of toys, we do lots of puppy play through the day, but as soon as I move she is straight on my slippers or the bottom of my jeans chewing away, to the point where sometimes she is dragged across the floor as she wont let go. Any opportunity she is chewing on cables, which despite a firm No, or Off she wont budge. When i physically remove her she growls and snarls at me. I remove her from the chewing but she runs straight back, so time and time we go round and round, even when i try to distract her she ignores me. I have been advised to give her a cows hoof, but i feel she is too young, 11 weeks and weighs 1.2kg, and i dont think will grow much bigger. Any advise please

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Puppies explore the world with their mouths!
    Are you swapping out and redirecting the chewing onto something more appropriate, or just saying 'no' and removing her?
    She is just a tiny baby and it will take time for her to learn what is ok to chew on and what is not - you need to teach her :)
    'No' is a very broard term for puppies with not a lot of meaning too; they dont automatically understand.

Work on teaching 'leave it' or 'drop it', as well as other basic commands
    Swap unchewable things for her own toys or treats
    Praise for chewing on the right things
    Keep anything you dont want chewed (within reason) out of puppy reach :D

3. Adele Ward

4. Adele Ward

thank you for this. Yes i distract her as much as i can, but as soon as i move away she runs straight for the cables. I have pinned them behind the TV unit, but she manages to get in behind the unit (she is tiny). I do a firm No or Off but she just carries on chewing. It is more the cables i worry so much about, and also slippers as i worry she will hurt herself. She has lots of toys and we do play alot. I will keep distracting her and keeping things out of reach as much as i can. I know she is exploring and everyday is a new adventure, i just wondered on here if there were any tried and test deterrent

5. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Member

Have you considered a puppy pen? Then she doesn’t get the chance to play with or chew stuff she shouldn’t. And you can get in with her to play, so no need for the conflict between you as she can only play with what you give her in there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice