Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yorkiepoo after Gastroentiritus

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LuciaD, Dec 12, 2018.

1. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and need advise. My poor 3 year old Yorkiepoo picked up something he shouldn't or caught from another dog and ended up with Gastroentiritus. He didn't eat for 4 days straight, stayed in the vets, put on a course of anti-biotics and was given the all clear today.

He's always been a fussy dog with his food, mainly with kibble. Since he's been ill he seems even more fussy. I'm not sure if it's to do with all the chicken and more bland foods we had to feed him whilst he was ill, or if he genuinely just doesn't want it anymore and it's time for a change!

Can someone help suggest an alternative. I don't want to take kibble away completely, like for example, a little bit of scrambled eggs with no milk or butter etc and he scoffs it but it's not great to use that every day!

His kibble is a chicken and sweet potato flavoured one. Can't for the life of me remember the name!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Pouring a bit of warm water over the dry food and mixing it up to make a nice gravy is often a good way to encourage them.
    Mixing just a spoon or so of wet food in with the water too makes it extra tasty and makes it difficult to just pick the good bits out.
    My lot eat dry mixed with wet and water as standard :)

Or you could just feed wet, if he's happier with that?

tabelmabel likes this.
  3. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

He LOVES wet food but I will try using the warm water mix. I already tried water on his kibble then sticking in the microwave to release the smells, that worked for a good long while but now it seems he's bored with that too!

I will get some wet tonight and try that same thing but mixed altogether :)

4. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

My two toy poodles who I sadly lost this year Rusty in May and Pepe last month November always had wet food as they didn’t like kibble. I used natures menu tins for years and then natures menu country hunter as well. Rusty the taller one in the photo was a particularly fussy eater. We also used to brush their teeth every day as poodles are well known for having poor teeth.

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My dogs have wet plus kibble. They eat the wet and pick at the kibble during the day. It suits them. I would not try and force a dog to eat kibble for the sake of it.

6. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

It seems there's more issues with him making him more fussy. Unfortunately had to take poor Oreo back to the vet. They have done a more extensive check on his Pancreas and if everything comes back clear they will do a scan or xray to see if there's maybe a blockage.

He could also be intolerant to something so going to see if they can do that check as well. The vets said mix kibble with scrambled eggs but if he's intolerant to dairy (which a few dogs are) then that's triggered him to be unwell and feel sick again.

We will see the outcome!

7. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Yes the vets have checked his gums and teeth and said they are absolutely fine. I think he's still unwell. The vets have run more tests this morning so will see what they come back with. Gastroenteritis has seemed to knock my poor little boy badly. He wants to eat as he keeps going up to the food but then he must be in some sort of discomfort because then he walks away. They gave him an anti-sickness jab this morning so hopefully he eats something today at least whilst we wait for pancreas test results.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Bless him, he is having a rough time and i hope he is soon better.

Sometimes mine get tinned sardines mixed in with their kibble which mashes in really well.

And i usually have a bag of those frozen nature's menu cubes - 2 or 3 of those warmed in microwave stir through pretty well (not quite as easy to coat all the kibble as with the sardines)

Sounds like he is needing a very gentle diet just now though whilst he fully recovers.

The juice from a tin of tuna is another good one for kibble

9. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

So the vets now think he's allergic or intolerant to something so we need to do an elimination diet! He seems to want to eat everything now which is great as 2-3 weeks ago he completely lost his appetite and wouldn't touch a thing. He's back to his normal self but everything seems to be going through him :( We need to find out the issue. Going to keep him on plain chicken for now, with some blended carrot and maybe a bone broth to entice him to eat his kibble.

Problem is, the more chicken he has, the more he wants to be spoilt and have just that and he's put off kibble! So frustrating.

10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Oh dear, what a nightmare! Hope you get to the root of it soon

11. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

So he has a pancreas insufficiency. Has to be on this prescribed dry and wet food called Z/D. Has to have nothing but that for 8 weeks to sort his pancreas and tummy out. Then we slowly introduce other foods again! At least we now know what it is and can manage it instead of guessing.

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice