Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yikes she swallowed the wing whole!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LisaZonda, Jan 17, 2012.

1. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

I just gave Nikita her first chicken wing and I did hold onto the other end, she had managed to chew up the bigger end quite well I think...I did hear 3 or 4 crunches which sounded like bone but it hadn't broken into two or anything, I released my grip a little to get a better hold on it and she whipped it away!

I tried to get hold of it again but she wasn't having any of it and swallowed it whole...she is fine and its gone down ok but I'm worried about it coming out the other end later, will she be ok?

#1 LisaZonda, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Should be fine. The whole purpose of the chewing process is just to get the food into small pieces to swallow. That's it. Digestion only starts in the stomach, unlike humans where the process starts with chewing.

Saying that and here's the but... do not be shocked if he vomits a bit later which may include bits of bone. It's not that uncommon when getting used to boney meals where the stomach isn't accustomed to processing them.

3. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Reckon she'll be fine now that it's gone down. Thing to remember in the future is if she gets it away from you don't try to get it back as they think you're going to take it away and gulp it down. Your best bet would be to offer her another wing and see if she'll let go of the one she has but trying to take it back - ut uh, no way is she gonna let you do that! :hand:

LisaZonda likes this.
  4. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Once it's in the stomach I wouldn't be worried. As said she might vomit it up later, the same thing happens when I give Dino a bony meal too late at night.

I personally don't bother with chicken wings as they're too easy to gulp, although he had one today and he has since learned the crunch all bones up perfectly. You'll have to start work on food guarding though

5. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

Thanks for your help everyone...I couldn't believe it had just gone like that!, I'm not used to this raw feeding malarkey and I'm so hopeless with it :eek:

Anyway, she's been totally fine since and not vomited or anything, I am trotting around after her though when she goes outside to check she is managing to poop ok :rolleyes:

I've read that some people give them a bashing with a hammer first to break up the bones inside, would this be a good idea in future?....or should I stop worrying so much about it all?

#5 LisaZonda, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I've only heard of people doing that for cats or small dogs who won't eat bones. Just try and hold onto it next time lol! Or use bigger bones so she has to crunch them. Try her on a leg quarter and see what happens, Dino did better on them. How old is she now?

7. LisaZonda

LisaZonda PetForums VIP

She's 3 months old tomorrow.

I think, like you say, it might be a good idea to give her something a bit bigger that she has to chew up! :)

8. Barkie

Barkie PetForums Senior

Muffin got the meaty part of a chicken wing stuck on her teeth the other week but no way was she going to let me help her, next second she had swallowed it. She was fine afterwards. If anything she maybe learned how to handle a lump of chicken carcass better.

Despite trying to train her to do it she hasn't yet got the idea of allowing bones as well as other things to be taken to be inspected and swopped for something better or given back to her.

We're not hopeless with this raw malarky we're just getting used to it being different from putting a bowl of food down.

9. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

Sherlock swallowed a whole chicken wing a few months ago - I'd already given him his and held the end while he crunched it all up, but then a friend came round and while I was letting her in he dashed up to Kinvara (the cat) who was daintily picking at her chicken wing and swallowed her one whole! I was scared for the whole evening but he was absolutely fine, the naughty scamp.

Poor Kinvara was very put out, and I felt terrible because I didn't have another wing defrosted :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice