Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yet another cat weeing problem! Please help!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sykotix, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Sykotix

Sykotix PetForums Newbie

Hi, our cat, Scraps, is about 15 years old now, and for the last few years has been using a litter tray in the back porch, and that was fine. About 2 weeks ago we had all our windows and front and back doors replaced, and as a result of this there is a slight chemical smell from the sealant. Then last week we went on holiday leaving Scraps at the cattery with our other much younger cat, Chloe. We've been back about 5 days now, and she still hasn't used her litter tray at all. I know she sometimes goes outside, but in the last 5 days she's weed in my sisters room and near my bedroom door. I've just spent all morning cleaning the damn carpet, and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? For now I've put her litter tray in the kitchen, because it seems like the only way to get her to use it again, but obviously this isn't a long term solution, due to hygeine!
    Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My litter tray is permanently in the kitchen - no hygiene problems there - try a covered tray. I'd also take her to the vet for a check up she may have a urinary infection. Make sure you clean the areas with proper stuff to get out cat pee smell - they can still smell it long after we think the smell has gone and it will make her want to go in the same place. If you can put somethng she has wee'd on back in the litter tray that should help. Also check she is still liking the litter you use, maybe they used somethng different at the cattery and she liked it more. Also the new smells are probably confusing her.

3. Sykotix

Sykotix PetForums Newbie

Since I posted the original topic, I've had the litter tray in the kitchen, near the porch door, with the door open all day, and she's been using it without a problem. Yesterday, I put the litter tray back in the porch, and when I woke up, the door was closed, and she's weed and pood in the house. I'm not sure if it's a problem with getting through the catflap or she just doesnt like it in the porch. It's looking like I'm going to have to leave it in the kitchen, although the smell isn't exactly nice when you're trying to eat breakfast, and for some reason, she usually wees in the litter tray, and poos just outside it. I would try the feliway diffuser, but unfortunately we don't have a electrical socket in the porch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice