Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yes, that is my name - so what?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by tailtickle, Nov 9, 2012.

1. tailtickle

tailtickle PetForums Senior

Not sure if this was for Training & Behaviour or Dog Chat (not sure the dogs in this Message would know either) .....

Why do some Owners continually call out their dog's name repeatedly, when he/she is doing something inappropriate? Clearly the dog is not going to recall, or they would not be needing to repeat and repeat the name. So what is there intention to say to the dog? :confused:

If the dog could talk, he may feel like calling back; "Yes, I know my name, please be quiet, while I concentrate on barking at those people two miles away!
    Or, "Shush, let me resume pulling and leaping at the end of the lead attempting to chase the Jogger"! :blink:

tailtickle x

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Oh I so whole hearted agree with you there you should here them on the beach here in summer.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

When I walk my dogs, one of them tends to lag behind to see what more interesting things might be going on on the heath. Once he has his attention on someone else or another dog, if I don't call him again he won't come with me, but go off in the other direction. Once he realises I am going this way, he will follow.

I suppose it all depends how well you know your dog. I only have to call Diva once, but not Ferdie and Rascal is sometimes looking around wondering where his name is coming from.

4. Newfinch

Newfinch PetForums Junior

Typical newfie behaviour. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice