Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yes - Another toilet question.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LittleMissSee, Aug 17, 2009.

1. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

Hello all,

Just after a little advice please.

I have a 10 week old puppy, and we are in the process of toilet training him, but I have a couple of questions:

- When I am outside with him, am I supposed to ignore him until he goes and then praise him or do I make eye contact with him? He will spend his time sniffing the garden, chasing leaves, running around, whining sometimes (even though I am with him), sitting down staring at me? If he wants to play, do I play with him?

Thanks guys

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our puppy was 10 weeks when we got her and we just used to take her out in the garden and let her do what she wanted until she had a wee or poo and then gave her plenty of praise. She is 18 weeks now and is doing really well with her housetraining although she does still have the odd accident.

3. kelseye

kelseye Banned

you should just let him get on with his own buisness as he mite feel that hes doing something wrong nobody like being watched going to the toilet...lol

and when he goes praise him lots n lots......

4. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Hiya,

Others may do it differently but i normally just wander round ignoring them,then as soon as they go,lots of praise but not over the top or they can stop mid flow and finish it off on your carpet!
    Some peeps give a toilet command,i must admit i don't,but i should think once learnt could be very useful.

Good luck and enjoy your pup.

5. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

I would take him out 10 mins after is food and just stay there he will do something its just waiting dont leave him alone as you will not see if he as been or not and it is very important that you praise him when he goes x

6. LittleMissSee

LittleMissSee PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies.

I don't leave him alone, I am with him, but I wasn't sure whether I should be interacting with him when waiting for him to go or ignoring him and not making eye contact with him?

My puppy book says to only wait a few minutes then go inside, but to be honest we've been waiting till he goes or if not, watching him like a hawk and just going back outside til goes.

I guess I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing, as there is alot of conflicting advice!!

7. sammyben

sammyben Guest

When we were first toilet training Sammy, we took him out in the garden on a lead so that he got used to this meaning it was 'walkies/toilet time', now he's that little bit older he goes out on his own no problem (in the garden) :D

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice