Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yelping mum!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Anwen, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

Everytime her kittens are asleep, Pixie goes to sit next to them and then starts yelping at them until they wake up! She also still feeds them very often (about every hour and they're 3 + 1/2 weeks old), some of them are starting to wean, but I'm worried they'll be too reliant on her to make the effort...

Also wanted to apologise to spid, advice on last post was very useful, sorry for not replying, but for some reason I'm not able to reply on that particular thread?! :confused:

x

#1 Anwen, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

NO probs. :D

Not sure on the feeding of the kittens, they are still very young and I think I wouldn't worry until they are about 6 weeks old. I'm sure one of the more experienced breeders will be along with more profound advice soon.

3. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

dont worry a kitten will not properly get interested in weaning till after 4 weeks, one of my kittens didnt stop feeding off mummy till she was almost 7 weeks

4. Anwen

Anwen PetForums Junior

good good, glad to hear that!
    Is there any reason you can think of for why she might be doing it though?
    She's always been pretty vocal, but it's been a fair bit worse recently!
    x

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

sounds like she is just being a good, attentive mum making sure her babies eat and trying to look after them and she will probably continue doing that until her babies are rehomed and then for a little while after that looking for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice