Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yellow mucus in stool

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Andrea Testroet, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Andrea Testroet

Andrea Testroet PetForums Newbie

Hello! I have a 5 year old Maltese Shih-Tzu. Thursday night I noticed she had diarrhea but didnt think anything of it, just figured her stomach didn't like something she ate. I'll be honest, I do give her people food, but only a few tiny pieces off my dinner plate. Otherwise, she has always eaten Nutro for small breed adults. She gets carrotts for treats because they're healthier and she thinks she's a bunny. Haha! She seemed fine all weekend, but I didn't check any stools then. Well last night her stomach (at least I think that's where it's coming from) started making these loud gurling noises all night. She also hasn't eaten a lot out of her food dish (keep full all the times) since Sunday. This morning she also wouldn't eat her carrott. I gave her a slice of shaved ham and she devoured that. Then I got home from work and yaaay she's eating her food and carrots again. BUT I decided to check her poop and found this yellow mucus in it (see pic). Wouldn't let me upload a video of the gurgling. Other than that, she's acting completely normal. What does it mean? Do I need to take her to the vet? Sorry this is so long but I thought the background story might help explain the mucus.

Attached Files:

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'd take her to the vets, it sounds and looks like Colitis, my last dog had it she need a special diet for a while.

cava14 una likes this.
  3. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I thought colitis too. Vet visit will sort it out

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Typical colitis. I had to switch one of my dogs to a grain free diet to cure it.

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If it’s a one off I’d be inclined to see if it settles after a few days tbh

She could have eaten something that upset her or picked up a bug which has inflamed the bowel temporarily.

Obviously if she is off colour, stools turn bloody or she seems in pain then a vet visit would be sensible.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Agree with Lurcherlad.
    Quite often a bit of mucous pooh heralds the end of a tum upset for Heidi and she’s right as rain afterwards.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Andrea Testroet

Andrea Testroet PetForums Newbie

Update! I was going to take her to the vet this morning. However, last night at 12:40 am (ugggghhh so tired) she decided she wanted to eat her entire bowl of food and water. I also didn't hear anymore noises coming from her stomach. Yaaaaay! So I'll holding off on the vet for now. I'm going to watch her stools today and if they don't get any better within the next day, I'll take her in. Thanks everyone!

Lurcherlad and Mum2Heidi like this.
  8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Great news!, (not the lack of sleep). Hope everything comes out ok.
    May be worth giving her frequent smaller meals for a couple of days..

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

A gurgling noise is usually made by the bowel, not the stomach.

She could have eaten something which has irritated/inflamed her bowel, and it may be a one off.

If it happens again, I would let your Vet see her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice