Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yeast

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by musclepug, Dec 27, 2019.

1. musclepug

musclepug PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I am new to the forums.

I have been reseatching Yeast on dogs for about two months now. My dog (pug) has been suffering from red hot spots of yeast for a couple of months after antibiotics at the vet. It was the first time he had ever had any antibiotics and the first experience I had had with them also, so I never knew what they do to your dogs immune system.

So since these jabs, he has been suffering from yeast infections, it started in his armpit, base of tail and sometimes on his chest. After lots of reaseach, I applied coconut oil to the areas and they dissapear within a few hours to a day, magic! But, this didnt solve what was going on inside of him. So I switched from kibble to a natural diet, so he has chicken, and green beans, thats it, mornining and night, no other treats, nothing. However after doing this for two weeks he still is getting new areas of infection?

I have noticed that when bathing him, and if he doesnt dry too quick and an area stays damp for too long, the following day, in those areas his skin is bright red and looks sore. So I then apply the coconut oil and then it goes again.

I have tried apple cider vinegar also, however being this is mixed with water, its had mixed results, as the water content kinda made it worse in some cases.

What is going on? I really am avoiding going to the vet as I dont want more problems. How long will it be before his system is back to normal or can even get wet again, its like a gremlin thing haha, whereby if his feet get wet from walks they are red.

I feed kefir also into his diet, not sure this is doing much, and have just started with probiotics and prebiotic supplements made for dogs. Today I am doing an antifungal - antibac shampoo and then drying him making sure he isnt wet for too long. Fingers crossed this starts to help. I had been bathing him with aloe vera shampoo previously, which again didnt have much effect.

He also scoots sometimes, this is not an anal sac issue as these have been expressed and doesnt appear impacted etc... i think this is more of scratching an itch on back legs, anal area?

Anyone have any experience with this?

To look at my dog, you would think he was healthy, you cannot visibly see anything really happening until you part the fur. It just that it keep returning when I am stuck on the cause. I am hoping that once his gut is back on track and immune system is up he will be able to keep the yeast controlled.

Many thanks for reading and your help in advance.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Someone else will hopefully have advice on the yeast issue but
    that may be a natural diet but it isn't necessarily a balanced one. Are you including bone and organ meat from the chicken?

lullabydream, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would take him to the vet as without correct treatment this could all go on a long time and get worse. Treatment would usually continue for a specific time, even once symptoms seem to have cleared up.

Thrush can be a side effect of antibiotics, but not always. It might be a coincidence and there are underlying issues which need identifying and treating. Pugs are known to be susceptible to skin/allergy issues.

AG problems can persist and aren’t always solved by one expressing.

Chicken and green beans is not a balanced diet.

There is a sticky on Raw Feeding with lots of info.

lullabydream, Torin. and JoanneF like this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I had a build up of yeast many years ago that caused a few issues. Once I dealt with the build up, the issues went along with it. Lots of garlic and whole liquidised grapefruit. I avoided anything with yeast.

ACV may work better internally than topically but it has to be unfiltered and contain the mother or web. I believe you can get grapefruit seed extract. Not sure if it would work or it’s suitability for dogs.

The vet is the best person to advise you on this.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You can indeed. Tastes disgusting.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Can’t be as bad as the whole fruit liquidised. Peel, pith, pips and flesh. Congealed sludge!! I like grapefruit but that was disgusting. Diluted with water and downed it. 3 grapefruit sorted me thank goodness!! Never again. I’ve been careful with yeast ever since.

Extract tablets probably a better option.

7. Joyjamie

Joyjamie PetForums Junior

I have a Shih tzu who has recurrent yeast infections. Only treatment that worked is Antibiotics course for around 6 weeks with steroids. To keep on top of this I use Coatex a medicated shampoo every couple of days plus have some GLX wipes when she comes back from her walk wipe her belly and paws.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice