Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yearly Jabs ????????

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by nat1979, Aug 20, 2009.

1. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Just wanted to ask everyone what they think of jabing they dog every year

We had a owner come into the vets the other day that wanted a blood test on his dog before getting his jab done the dog was 7 years old and he had both his puppy jabs when a pup and a yearly jab after that but has not had a jab since

The blood test he wanted shows how much of the stuff is in the dog from the jab that he last had which was when he was 1 1/2 and the blood test came back that he still had most in his blood

So this dog went over 5 years without a jab and still had it in his bloodstrem
    So do you think that jabbing a dog every year is safe and not overdosing are dogs

2. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

We never booster but we blood test,It's called a titre test and measures the antibodies the dog has to each disease.
    We have only had to have a top up booster once and that was for adenovirus,but that bitch had missed her 15 month of age booster that we give normally.
    Never have they needed it for parvo or distemper.
    We have pups jabbed as usual,then at 15 months then nothing after.

The only vaccine that MAY need doing yearly is leptospirosis,but as that seems to be the most damaging vaccine of all we don't use it,and i guess it depends on the area you take your dogs as it is more prevelant in certain areas.

3. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I wish we didnt need to jab our dogs each year but as they go in kennels ,they have to be done,but i am now going to call them after reading the OP and ask kennels if i get dogs blood tested and it shows they are still covered will they accept them in kennels without yearly jab.

4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

If you want to do a titre test then that is fine but make very sure they are covered for leptospirosis as it can be picked up anywhere that rats have been, from the rats' urine and it is often fatal. It is also fatal in humans.

I dont have much confidence that the vaccination will last for years but what does happen is that, if you live in an area that distemper and parvo are prevalant, then the dog will constantly be meeting it and boosting its own immunity.

Years ago I lived in an area where there was no distemper and dogs that had not been vaccinated for 3 or 4 years were going down with it like flies when it arrived in the area. It was heartbreaking and having lived through that I would never suggest that dogs are left without their boosters (which most vets now only every 2 years with an annual booster for leptospirosis) without doing a titre test every year.
    Personally I would rather just vaccinate, probably less stressful on the dog and no more expensive than blood testing.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I do know some kennels accept dogs that havnt had yearly jabs as it has now been proven that they dont need it and we are infact over vacinating our dogs.

6. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

All my dogs are vaccinated and have their yearly boosters

7. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I do not not vaccinate because i fear the side effects of overvaccination not to save money.In fact the titre test does work out slightly more expensive but no problem,and vaccination is not less stressful on the dog if they have an adverse reaction so for my dogs health and longevity i would rather not 'just vaccinate' .

8. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I have been reading up on this and to me it seems pointless,

A titer test does not and cannot measure immunity, because immunity to specific viruses is reliant not on antibodies, but on memory cells, which we have no way to measure. Memory cells are what prompt the immune system to create antibodies and dispatch them to an infection caused by the virus it "remembers." Memory cells don't need "reminders" in the form of re-vaccination to keep producing antibodies. (Science, 1999; "Immune system's memory does not need reminders.") If the animal recently encountered the virus, their level of antibody might be quite high, but that doesn't mean they are more immune than an animal with a lower titer.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I do wonder what percentage of dogs actually suffer as a result of yearly vaccinations. Of course it does happen, nothing is without risks, but just how common is it?

In all the years ive worked, lived and owned dogs, ive never come across a single case of adverse reaction. I have a cat that almost died, but accept that these things happen. He isnt vaccinated anymore, but the rest are.

I live in an area populated by a fair few unvaccinated dogs, and having seen multiple ones dying from preventable diseases, its not a risk im willing to take.

Unless someone can provide concrete evidence that yearly boosters are causing more harm than good, then i will continue to have them and remain skepticle.

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I just think when its put the vet that i dont want my dog injecting every year because of the problems they can have by ov er vaccinating and she agree's its good enough confimation for me.

11. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

We have never vaccinated our dogs, we just don't believe it makes any difference. All my dogs have been 14 and healthy when they died, without vaccs. Perhaps its because we have always lived in remote areas with a low dog population, but either way, we don't feel we need to have them done.

12. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I do as I feel the risks of not having them vaccinated far out way the risks of having them. I would never forgive myself if they picked up something that could have been prevented with a vaccine. I also sometimes have to board my dogs and my particular kennels won't accept titre tests.

13. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

so im (kinda)new to having my puppy is there more people sayin she shouldnt have yearly jabs...if she needs to go into kennels would she HAVE to have them done? i dont want to give her the jabs if i dont have to...seems a bit risky!

14. basi

basi PetForums Senior

Some kennels will accept titre tests and others won't. Well we have vaccinated our dogs for as long as I have been alive 33+ years and never had one have a reaction and have all lived well into their teens. It comes down to personal preference. Just bare in mind that if you don't vaccinate and your dog develops something that could have been prevented with a vaccine your insurance they won't pay out.

15. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My eldest Bichon had his puppy jabs and then wasn't vaccinated again until this year when he was five. I too am also worried about over vaccination. We got our puppy done though so I thought I had better get him done too. I told the vet my worries and he said he doesn't give them everything every year like he did when he first started being a vet about 35 years ago.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Isn't it also a condition of some insurance companies that the dogs have annual vaccinations?
    I have annual boosters for my dog, though I'm not really happy about it. I think we are over-vaccinating but the risks of getting it wrong can be horrendous whichever way it goes.

17. alison in surrey

alison in surrey PetForums Newbie

I just changed insurance companies and it was one of the things I looked at. I couldn't find anyone who would insure the dogs without the vaccines - if anyone knows of one please let me know.

I've heard so many versions of how long jabs last and how long they are covered for and potential side effects that I find it difficult to make an inform choice about such things.

18. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Wow thanks for your views guys​

I did not know you could have a test done before a jab is due etc untill that owner asked for one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice