Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

YBS Terrapins

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by Any1976, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Any1976

Any1976 PetForums Newbie

Hi to all, A newby here so please be gentle :).. Just after some basic advice for my 2 YBS.

Im going to purchase 2 Yellow Bellied sliders at the weekend but would appreciate any tips advice etc on how to care for these guys.

From research i've done on the internet i understand you need a UVB light, A filter, A heater and a basking area. Ive also got a 39 inch tank for them arriving on Friday.

Does the UVB light sit over the Basking area?..As others have said the basking area should have a heat light over it and the UVB light sits over the top of the tank?.. So do i need a UVB light AND a basking light?,,I was under the impression a UVB light was more than sufficient.

Also external or internal Filter, What should i be looking to get?..

Just want to give them the best start in there new life at mine, So any feedback is much appreciated.

Many thanks, Andy.

2. Dan1234

Dan1234 PetForums Member

You definitely need a basking light, a standard spot bulb will do the trick. As for the filter If you can accommodate one a external is the way to go. Turtles are extremely messy and even the largest of internals will struggle.

I don't know how committed you are to YBS but I would strongly suggest you look at something that stays a more manageable size like a musk Turtle. YBS females will grow to a good 14 inch dinner plate size and are not really suitable to home aquaria unless your willing to spend big bucks to get a enormous tank. Your tank is nowhere near large enough and depending on the size the Turtles are now won't last long at all.
    There are a lot of good care sheets for Turtles, have a good google and make sure your clued up on things like substrate/feeding/lighting etc.
    I keep my YBS rescues in a pond and IMO that's really the only suitable place for them. I've seen a few committed people have huge indoor pond type set ups for them but these people are few and far between. Not many people want half their living room took up with a indoor pond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice