Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yay another what's best for me thread.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by KittyOrochimaru, Aug 18, 2009.

1. KittyOrochimaru

KittyOrochimaru PetForums Junior

So~ This has to be the most popular question right~? I've tried the little survey things to test what dog breed is best but hmm.

Baring in mind i wont be getting one til 2/3 years time ;)

Ok. So i'd be a first time dog owner, i have looked after friends dogs before which i loved doing. I'm actually thinking of doing animal care courses or something along that line.
    I can't..really get along with tiny tiny dogs xD; or huge dogs like my uncles great dane. So maybe small large or medium?

To be honest i'd love one to just be my best friend. (of course i'd care for it too o_O!) I'm used to having rats which are very loving. I'd be willing to take it for walks everyday. At the moment we have a biggish garden which surrounds our whole house. Front, back and both sides. I don't think we would stay in this house long but i DO know that the next house will have a huge garden.

Anything else? hmm don't think so. I'll be going to the paws in the park thing so i hope i'll see some there which i can see what they are like :)

This is just so i could research about more of the breeds that would suit me more then the ones i like >_<;

Thank you.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I see you are only 16, will this dog be just yours or a family pet?

3. KittyOrochimaru

x_x Hence saying i'm reasearching now. Waiting til i'm old enough and responsable enough. In anyway it would be a family pet so yes.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Waiting 2/3 years, which would make you 19 at the most. Uni age.

Have your family owned dogs at all? I know you say YOU havent.

5. KittyOrochimaru

I'm not going to Uni. I have studied at home all this time. Yes both parents have had dogs, father has had 2 collies and mother has had 2 fox terriers.
    I do not know when i'm going to have them. Hence saying i'd like to do alot of research before doing anything. Is that not good enough? Atleast i'm not one of them teenagers which buys a dog without researching and it ends up in a shelter.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Discover dogs might be a good idea. Never been to paws in the park, so have no idea what goes on there.

Best thing to do, is look at your lifestyle, what you are prepared to offer a dog (in regards to exercise, stimulation) then find a breed that fits your needs.

Narrow it donw to say, i dunno, 5-10, then research each one carefully. Then you need to think about whether you want a puppy, or if you are willing to take on an unwanted rescue.

If you are wanting a puppy, then you will have to search for a reputable and responsible breeder. There are usually waiting lists, so you'll have to put your name down. It can be quite a wait with some breeders as most dont breed that often.

2/3 years is probably a good time scale to research and prepare yourself. Better than jumping in feet first like so many people do.

7. KittyOrochimaru

Ok thank you. I'd be willing to rescue but yes..I will go through some.

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i agree go to discover dogs exhibition. Its in November :)

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wouldnt have a clue where to start in regards to choosing a breed. Ive never really been a die hard fan of any. Thankfully what ive ended up with was chosen for me.

10. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We are finding it really hard to choose a breed, as soon as we think we have found our perfect breed another one pops up. We are going to Discover Dogs in November. I can't wait and I am really looking forward to it.

I do think a good thing to do is make a shortlist(or a longlist in our case) and start researching each breed. That way you will probably find charactristics(can't spell) that some breeds have that are not compatable with you. Choosing the Right Dog for You: Profiles of Over 200 Dog Breeds Hamlyn Reference S.: Amazon.co.uk: Gwen Bailey: Books This is a good book.

11. rona

rona Guest

You can't learn all from books and websites, get out on walks and talk to owners of the breeds you are interested in.
    Nobody minds talking about their dogs :D

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

So true!! I met a Siberian Husky yesterday. She was gorgeous and her owner talked and talked about her. She said her hubby complains that she could talk the hind legs of a donkey about their dog.

13. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Hi, Is there anything else you would want from the dog.... Like friendly with children, short hair.... Some more info. That would help us out alot! :D

14. KittyOrochimaru

Well to be honest..i love all sorts of dogs.
    The ones i've met are the ones my friends have had which are Bernese mountain dog (she was so nice), these two breeds i didn't know what they are o_o; but they are small. A Westie (which was lovely, she kept resting her head against mine on the back of the sofa XD) Two Labradors..which were hyper and kinda nippy ^^; GSD and some sort of wired haired thing (she used to let me take it walks) I really don't know what those 3 breeds where but they was the nicest xD; uhm and a good old dalmation.

Hm o.o; Well i'm sure i'd have my rats again in the future so maybe ones that wouldn't bark at them? (which i'm sure you could teach them not to)

Where is this Discover dogs being held? It might be good to go to that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice