Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Yakult\Actimel regular use ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hyper Springer, Dec 9, 2010.

1. hyper Springer

hyper Springer PetForums Senior

Hi All

the boy recently was a bit loose:rolleyes: i think due to the after effects of Antibiotics...hes much better now:D

After a recomendation from some other members i gave him sime actimel to get some friendly bacteria into his gut....he loved it and it seems to have helped

Im thinking of maybe giving him 2 little pots a week as part of his normal diet,would this be beneficial or could long term use cause issues ?:confused1:

ta

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi im not sure it helped my puppy when he was off colour still give it to him every now and again as treat :)

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I think its a "suck it and see" situation. Dont see that it can cause any harm. We are encouraged to have it every day.

When H had her tum probs I used natural yogurt and gave her some every morning before any food for about a week after she was better then stopped. She doesnt do well with dairy and it made her itchy if I continued.

Now she is on Bionic Biotic supplement which does pretty much the same with a few other advantages thrown in and I will see how she goes. If I can stop it, I will but if her tum needs the ongoing support, then so be it.

If she was ok with the yogurt, I would have stuck with it in whichever way it worked the best.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think there's no evidence that long term use does any good in humans or animals. Sure, the bacteria need replenishment after a course of antibiotics, but after that, if the diet is OK, they should be self-sustaining. I can't see it would do any harm though (except to your pocket). You'd be better with a dairy free version - I know some companies make them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice