Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

xl bully with a smaller dog?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jonathan98, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jonathan98

Jonathan98 PetForums Newbie

Hello everybody (I'm new and this is my first post)

I'd basically just like a few answers as I'm thinking about getting another dog and a common breed in my area is the xl bully. The dog I'm thinking of getting is an Xl bully x Staffy and is a female. I already have a smaller dog (a male Jack Russell x) and I've been hearing a few mixed reviews about the dog I'm looking into getting. So here are my questions. I'd be really appreciative if you could answer as many as possible in great detail

1) I've heard if you already have a dog and you're looking into getting another one then they should be different genders so there is less chance of scrapping between them.

2) Would an XL bully x staffy and a smaller dog be alright together? by small dog is quite playful and hyper and will only want to play he's never shown any kind of aggression towards a dog in his life. (even when it was snarling and trying to lunge at him he still wanted to play)

3) I'm sure this question will be down to how it is trained but if I have any visitors in the house is it likely to snap at them for no reason? (was reading a new report that it happened and I'd like all my guests to leave my home with the same amount of fingers they entered with)

4) How hard is it to train this breed?.

5) Are they high jumpers? as I have a fence in my back garden that is about 5 foot 11 inches and I'd hate for one of my dogs to get lose.

6) I've also heard they're great furniture wreckers, any comments on this?.

7) They're often mistaken for banned breeds and I'd hate for it to be put down as it would be a member of a family.

8) How do they get on with children? I don't have any but we have some visit around once a month.

9) How are they with babies? as me and the gf are currently trying for one.

10) do they get on well with other dogs that they don't live with? as there are a good few dogs at any time in the park by my home.

I think that's everything. If there is I'll be sure to edit this post and add some more. I'll try my best to reply to each and every post I receive, thank you.

#1 Jonathan98, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh if your planning a baby, I’d forget getting another dog as you’ll have your hands full ;)

3. Jonathan98

Jonathan98 PetForums Newbie

ah yeah makes more sense tbh :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have an EBT and a JRT both males Liam the EBT is really laid back no problem with other dogs ,adults or kids he hasn't been destructive at all but I am home all day with the dogs playing with them ect.If you are trying for a baby though I wouldn't get one just now the Bull breeds don't finish growing until they are about 16 months old and don't mentally mature until much later:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice