Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wud a staff n english bull terriers get along???

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by johnnyjohnson, Feb 25, 2008.

1. johnnyjohnson

johnnyjohnson PetForums Newbie

I allready have 18 month old staffie whos great around the house and with my younger brother but av recentley bin offered a english bull terrier pup.

wud this be a gud idea? wud the two dogs get a long?

ive bin told by a friend that they wud just fight really badly and dont wont my brother 2 get in the way of that! but the person im getin the pup from already has 3 bull terriers and a bulldog and they get on fine?:confused:

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

There is no reason why they would fight, does your dog get on with other dogs ? Some people would advise never having two males in the same house, I've had up to five and never found it a problem.

3. garryd

garryd Guest

Yeah but just remember ,we are talking about bull terriers here!;)
    I have 4 bull terriers,2 boys and 2 girls , they get on fine but they do have the odd scwobble :rolleyes: they have all been brought up together from puppy's so it ain't that bad !
    But then i am here alot ,so i am on hand to put them striate if they start something !
    But i would never recommend leaving 2 male dogs alone for long times !
    Because if a fight does start its hard enough to stop it if your there ,let alone if you wasn't !:eek:
    In my opinion i wouldn't bother risking it!;)
    Why not get another staffy bitch as a bitch and a dog will always get on better !;)

4. johnnyjohnson

sorry my staff is a bitch and so wud be the pup, so wud it be better if the pup was male??

5. johnnyjohnson

shes normaly fine when shes out, what would be the best way to introduce them just to see what there like?

6. garryd

garryd Guest

sorry mate i dident relise :rolleyes:
    To bitches will get on much better than two dogs trust me !
    To bitches should be fine ;)

7. AJ

AJ Guest

The way we introduce new dogs is to bring the new dogs into the house with our dog off the lead and then drop their lead too; it’s always resulted in a positive relationship. It depends on the temperaments of the dogs though, if you've never noticed any aggression from your Staffy you should be fine especially as the English Bull Terrier is a pup your Staffy won't see it as a threat.

There's no reason they should fight long term if they are trained and exercised properly.

8. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Just keep your eye on them tho, They have had there arguments, And i have found english bulls to be more dominant then staffys.

9. garryd

garryd Guest

I agree with that !:D allthough i would say staffs a better at jumping fences:D:D

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

And i agree with that lol haha. :D

11. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

i have a bull terrier cross staffie female, a staffie male and a bulldog male and touch wood there has been no squabbles at all.
    they are watched constantly and never all locked up together if i go out.

12. garryd

garryd Guest

Thats how you gotta do it;)

13. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Not always they don't,We had two bitches who were fine then they decided it might be fun to try to kill each other and I'm not joking!

It was seperation from that day on,every chance they got they wanted to start with each other,it was a flaming nightmare!

14. garryd

garryd Guest

what from when they knew each other from puppy hood????:eek:

15. Mega-Pet-City

Mega-Pet-City PetForums Newbie

Hi

I own 4 staffs and tess she was the first of the 4 i had and then i got snmudge tess would not hurt a fly and she was scared of smudge aged at 7 weeks then i got sayber when smduge was 6 months and they gt on like a house on fire then aged at 12 months and 16 months i got diesel they was a bit funny at first buit again get on great

my advice is let them meat first walk etc.. any sign of snapping growling etc... i would say no but i find when dogs get older it is hard for them to bond with other dogsd 24/7

Molly was a lovely dog i had a thew years back but i tried to get another bitch when molly was 2 years and they just went for each other so i had rehome the pup

16. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Ive put 2 dogs with eachother, 1 dominant and one that submits, and the same with my other 2, a dominant one and the other that submits, alls ok atm :D.
    and may i add the 2 dominant ones are my english bullys over my staffys, so an english with a staff each lol.

17. Katherna

Katherna PetForums Senior

I have to agree with sallyanne. Had to bitches that decided the house and the garden just weren't big enough for the two of them. A Jack Russel and a WSD, both had been brought into the house as puppies, were normally quiet, gentle and subservient. One day all hell broke loose in the garden, the Jack Russel had to have her neck stitched and the WSD had to have her muzzle stitched after that one. :(

18. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Yes even though they had grown up together,played together,slept together.

They were close age wise about 3 months between them,they both wanted to be top dog,neither would back down,if we hadn't been there to part them we would have had seriously injured possibly dead dogs.

19. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Must admit, My eng bull was 12 weeks old when i bought her and she was bought up with my older staff who at the time was 8-9 years old, when my eng bully reached that 18 month-2 years mark thats when she started getting dominant, they had a good couple of fights i can tell u that, that needed vet treatment, it was'nt my staff tho, it was my english who wanted to be top dog.
    i would'nt trust her as far as i can throw her with my old girl, she has it in for her big time for some reason, not continuous, i have it under control but ild never ever leave her for 1 minute with my old girl without me present.

20. scoobygirl

scoobygirl PetForums Newbie

i have a 10 yr old english male and a 8 month old stafie male and they get on fine. you just have to let both dogs sort out the pecking order . i have had no problems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice