Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Writing a kiddies book about cats! :D

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dani2012, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Dani2012

Dani2012 PetForums Member

Currently in production is a book I am writing about cats! The kiddies book will feature lots of different breeds, from tabbies to persians to folds and to everyones favourite, the hairless sphinx! :D :D :D

Would love any support for it! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mo-the-cat/540181129392111

I'm looking to make it into a series, and the main cat is a japanese bobtail cat. Kiddies probably dont care about the kind of cats in the world... but I thought it'd be fun!

Thanks for reading! :cornut: With me luck on my feline journey!

2. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Great!....Good luck on your Feline journey hun x :cornut:

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Make sure you spell SPHYNX right please!

4. Dani2012

Thanks for the support and likes everyone! :D Much MUCH love to all of you! :eek::D:D

@Spid : Doh! :blushing: I think my editor would kill me if she saw that slip up!

5. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Liked your page, and just wanted to wish you luck with it :) what age would it be aimed at? xx

6. Dani2012

Thank you very, VERY much! :) It will be aimed at about year four and below I think... not too wordy, but I aim to have little rhymes in it :D I remember when I was little my mum used to read me Mittens the Kitten... was my favourite book! She still laughs about it now, so its some real inspiration for me :biggrin5:! xxxxxx

7. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Aw it would go over the heads of my toddlers at work then :) Wish you all the luck in the world with it ;D

I remember Mittens the Kitten :D awwww

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

When you travel to Thailand in your writings, don't forget the Korat is the true cat of Siam... and Siamese weren't kept in palaces, but cats were revered in Thailand as guardians of the temples protecting the Buddhist texts written on palm leaf manuscripts, from mice and rats.

9. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

Good luck, wishing you well in writing your book. Sounds like it is going to be interesting...any books to do with cats just has to be :)

10. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Aw how lovely! The best of luck!

11. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Good Luck with that. When you do Egypt please remember:

There were two main breeds of cat native to Ancient Egypt. The jungle cat (Felis chaus) and the African wildcat (Felis silvestris lybica). The latter had a calmer temperament and so was more commonly domesticated than its wilder relative. The two species eventually merged creating a new breed which was closely related to the modern Egyptian Mau. As the cat was domesticated, further changes in temperament and appearance became apparent. Cats became more colourful (as the need to be almost permanently camouflaged lessened), their bodies became smaller and less muscled (due to changes in diet and activity), their brains became smaller (as a result of the reduction in necessary survival instincts) and they developed an increased tolerance for humans.

It seems that the cat is in fact indigenous to Egypt. There is evidence that the majority of the world´s cats can trace their ancestry to an Egyptian cat. It is sometimes suggested that cats were introduced into Egypt from Persia around 2000 B.C.E or from Nubia during the New Kingdom but this is unlikely due to significant evidence that cats lived in Egypt before these dates. In fact, archaeologists found a man interred with his cat in a burial mound in Mostagedda near Asyut dated to around 6,000 years ago. The cat may not have been domesticated, but was clearly important to the deceased. It is generally suggested that cats were domesticated in Egypt around 2000 B.C.E. Dogs had already been domesticated for over a thousand years by this time.

(Copied from: Ancient Egypt Online: Cats in Ancient Egypt)

If you can please read the page of the above, it is very interesting.

12. Dani2012

I wont be travelling the world in the book, but thank you for for information anyhow! Its not going to be very detailed in much, for it isn't for adults to read about cats... it more about children and enjoying the adventure. :) Hopefully. Hopefully they'll enjoy the adventures of Mo. :p

I love the Korats, though. Maybe one day I'll diverse onto other cats, but for now, I'll be sticking to the ones that children can easily identify visually. Like the difference between Persians and the british shorthair. :D

Thank you for all the support on Facebook, it really means a lot and I can't wait to get it out there! :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice