Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wow a miracle created by hubbys hard work!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rolosmum, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Hubby has been working with Rolo over the last few weeks to get his interest in retrieving a ball.

Slow progress from no interest to some interest, to getting the ball and then running around with it for the whole session, to in the garden he started an actual retrieve and then the eureka moment yesterday out on the big park at the back of us he brought it back a few times!

Today on a different big field and he did the same again but was more attentive, and interested and returned and dropped even quicker!

I was so proud of my husband because this has been all his work, and is the first thing he has taught without me and not needing me to crack it first!!:)

Rolo what a star pupil eventually!

2. rona

rona Guest

That's great, going to make walks more exciting and interesting for all of you.
    Why don't you try and get the ball put into your hand when it's retrieved ;)

3. jopetportraits

jopetportraits PetForums VIP

Well done Rolo.:thumbup1:

4. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Lots of our walks involve running about in the undergrowth and we have some just in parks which is where the ball work will come into play cos it will give us a focus for rolo as well as ruby and help just in case the 'leave' is iffy for anything to get the focus back etc.

Trouble with the drop into the hand is you get a squidgy dog soaked ball dumped to you!, that said Ruby is used to retrieving to the hand as part of her gundog training, so we dont win either way!

It was so lovely to see the anticipation in him waiting for the ball to be thrown!

5. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

I'd be interested in a blow by blow on how he did it, I'm trying it with Jess at the moment, with some helpful hints I received on here, but I'm not getting very far with Jess!

I thought I was getting somewhere the other day, she ran after the ball, sniffed it and walked away. Never done it since! :blink:

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Give your husband a big pat on the back. Mine still hasn't mastered that 'sit' and 'down' are two different commands and I've been training dogs for over 30 years - bless.

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Lucky you:)
    Would you like to swop- mine messes up everything I do.:rolleyes:
    Well done Rolo.

8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Mine usually messes up most things i do too, struggles with using the same word for commands and then in a panic rambles on with loads of garbled half commands, the hubby not the dog that is!

He started with two balls and was very cagey about throwing them and he then threw one, made a huge fuss to get him to bring it back, bribing him withthe idea of the second ball. He then got him excited over the other ball in his hand and when he came back and dropped the first ball he then threw the second ball and as he was on his way back started playing and showing him the other ball.

It took a while and still he wasnt interested in doing it when in the park for a few weeks has got one ball and just run around with it!

But we have tried once when out and then ignored him if he wasnt going to play, but suddenly yesterday his interest level in the thought of the ball being thrown upped massively and he was really eager and on edge for the ball to be thrown and the thrill of running around with the ball seemed to change to a thrill in waiting and watching it being thrown. He was then really eager to bring it back and drop it ready for the next one.

He still will only do it for a bit at the moment and then clicks to running around a bit, but small steps.

He has followed a similar pattern to a friends springer in his development but a little younger to get to the final step and it is down to hubbys work for a change rather than mine!

I think the two ball thing is the key and doing it in a small space indoors we started then to the garden and then other places.

9. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Well done to Rolo and Rolo's dad :)

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think the two ball thing is the key and doing it in a small space indoors we started then to the garden and then other places.[/QUOTE]

Yes its a very good method. It works on the principle that the dog always wants the ball you've got, especially if you make the one in your hand very interesting. I have on occasions resorted to talking to it ie "hello Mr Ball, you're nice, etc. etc." That usually gets the dog's interest.

Not advisable in your local park if other people are in earshot though.....

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Well done Rolo and well done your hubby too - must think about getting me one! :D

12. Gilly and Jess

I think I'm going to try the tennis ball with a treat in it. When it's called a smelly treat, something like wet food? liver? what kind of stuff would be recommended?

I'm determined we're going to jazz up Jess's walks a little, just plain old walking and sniffing isn't much fun for her. My boyfriend seems to think that if I can't interest her in a ball she won't be interested in a frisbee or such, does anyone else agree?

13. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

I think I disagree, dogs like different things. Some like the rolling, some like irregular bouncing and movements so something dragged on end of line is liked, others prefer things that fall out the sky and probably some others smell matters more than movement.

The big advantage of tennis type balls (and there's Kong ones with squakers which seem extra well liked), is they're cheap. Dog & I find them all the time, just lying around in the park :D:D

I liked the slit in tennis ball idea and would try it, but if it doesn't work, then you can train the interest by a step-by-step approach Super Methodical Step by Step - How to teach any dog to FETCH! By breaking it down, you can make sure the dog's eager at every stage and willing to give up the object, where you want it.

#13 RobD-BCactive, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  14. Gilly and Jess

Cool, I'll have a look at that link. ;)

15. smallclanger

smallclanger PetForums Newbie

Well done. We have also managed this with our 1 year old Staffy who absolutely lives for balls!

He is so focussed on the ball now I don't need to take two , he always brings it back we are so proud..!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice