Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would your dogs protect you?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Luvdogs, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Not that i would want my dogs to be in that position (ever), I'd like to think i would be able to protect them from danger, but do you think your dogs would protect you if you were in immediate danger or even alert you?
    Have have you ever been in that position?

My male Lab would for sure always stays close on walks, he would make the right noises, and was quite protective when we got cornered by a herd of cows recently.
    Bitch lab, would make sure she was alright first!! :rolleyes::D

:)

WillowT likes this.
  2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i posted a thread like this similar to yours - can't remember what i called it.

But would my dogs protect me...Mika...i'm not sure...I know he loves me but would he protect me....probably not lol

Dante maybe

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

LOL, no.

Im sure Oscar would think it was great fun, and Alfie would only be thinking of saving himself, the little weed.

4. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

I remember when we were at Lossiemouth a couple of years ago on the beach with the kids ( only had 2 dogs at that time) and the kids went off up in the dunes and out of sight.. Both Haggis and Tatties realised they weren't in site and went ballistic looking for them. Once they had found the boys they kept running back up the dunes to make sure they were still there and didn't stop till the kids were back on the main beach and in sight.
    As some of you may know, the kids have been away at there dads for 5 days this week, and every night without fail, Laalie (our newest addition) has gone up stairs to the boys bedrooms at about 9;30pm looking for them..and she was deffo not happy when she couldn't find them.
    So in answer to the question, Yes i think they would certainly protect the kids, and i would hope us aswell if the oppertunity ever arose.
    Vizzies maybe completely nuts, but loyalty is one of there best points!

5. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

Maya...NO....she would run for miles and leave me to deal with it myself :rolleyes: (OH once pretended to be a stranger in the dark and she just took off and watched from distance until the situation was safe lol :D )

Cobi...definitly would protect me if i would ever been attacked by a dog.
    When a stranger acts weird like following me or heading straight towards me in the dark especially he will have an very alerted bodylanguage watching out for this idividuall....

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Yes without a doubt!

x

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

my Kris would more than likely kiss anyone to death or go off with them thinking that they may be doing something more interesting:rolleyes:
    she is far to happy and friendly so dont think she would notice if there was a danger,but thats the way we have bought her up due to having kids, although all said and done shes never been in that situation so she could suprise us all,hpoefully i will never need to find out:D

8. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I think they would try once they worked out what was going on but how much use they would be i don't know!!! :rolleyes:

9. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Shen would rush in front of me barking and growling and then hide behind my legs. I know this for a fact because that is exactly what he did when we first moved here and a neighbour popped in without knocking first.

10. borderer

borderer Guest

yes he would:D

11. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Maya my basenji would maybe give it a go. She is so loyal and devoted to me, bless her. At the very least im sure she would alert me to any danger :D

The pugs wouldnt bother. They'd just make a whole lot of noise as i was being murdered :D lol They're not really bred for guarding and protecting...!!

Riley my lab definately would, he's a fantastic guard dog. I was being followed one time about 6 months ago when i was walking him. I didnt realise until Riley turned around and stood there, hackles up, growling quietly. I made him carry on walking, but when the guy kept following us Riley turned around again and started barking at him. He's the soppiest old dog, but a very BIG black lab so probably quite imposing. The guy disappeared up an alley and we didnt see him again. I think if anything actually happened Riley would turn and run as he is such a baby lol! But that was reassuring anyway as i live alone so its nice to know he would guard the house :D

12. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I'm not sure, probably only if someone approached wearing a mask. My sister once came down wearing a face mask and he barked like mad. If it was just a person, he'd probably try and play with them. :rolleyes:

13. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

Yes,

When a neighbour was attacked, the lad jumped into our back garden to hide
    it was "red alert" with all the zoo here rofl

First porsha (The cat attacked him,) then the idiot tried to run in the house, only to meet my staffy (Who hates men anyways) got him cornered, and my shi-tzu was bitting his shoe lace lol

He then managed to run less then a meter, and jump over our 6 foot fence.

Once the police arrived we told them what had haapened and they done a search of the garden..With police dogs, which my staffy hated..
    1 Hour after everything that happened, the police came and told us that we was very lucky, Because the lad had held the neighbour at knife point and if it wasn't for our cat and dogs then we might of had us too!!

End result was that we got a letter (Now framed) from the police thanking us and the pets for our "quick-thinking" lol

14. keasby

keasby PetForums Newbie

A few months back I collapsed in a fit, OH was in bed and Marley barked his little heart out for help. He kept tugging at my arm to get me to wake up and stood by me keeping watch.
    He may have his issues but he is certainly faithful and loyal.

15. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Hhmmm he'd probably make a lot of noise then run off, but he is still a baby :rolleyes: he'd most likely jump on them to see if they've got treats :D

16. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Ruby our Boxer would protect me but Missy our Staffie would lick them to death.

17. Boston

Boston PetForums Member

lol this is a good thread my little dogs i think would just bark like mad my oldest chih would maybe try and bite if really pushed into it but couldnt do much good lol.
    My springer would 100 per cent she hates men and most strangers with a passion so i have no doubts she would.
    My rottie cross labrador hmmm maybe she would although i do have to say if you didnt know what a stupid baby she was and she came running at you she looks quite scary so maybe if she did that the person would back off.

18. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Ty-God no!!!! He would happily go off with anyone :rolleyes:
    In fact, so would Lottie I think, although she does bark at noises. Ty cant be bothered lol

19. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I doubt either of my DDB would.

20. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

ithout a doubt
    My niece was showing off and tried "beating me up" in front of her boyfriend :eek:ut: She soon got what she deserved Bess jumped at her groling and baring her teeth, and went for her :eek: I know its not right, but she soon calmed down, and was fine when my niece stroked her. I just know she would bite anyone that hurt me
    Chester has bitten my brother before when my brother pinned me down and i was screaming cos he was so heavy, chester bit his bottom :blushing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice