Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would You

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Buy A Non Health Tested Dog.

Been there done that,fortunatly it worked out well for us but that's not always the case.
    We took a chance,we knew the litter were HC PHPV unaffected,but not tested for L2 which is pretty serious in SBT's.Anyway I recieved a message from a guy on a forum saying Tylers sire was a carrier for L2 so of course it was panic stations here.I got in touch with his breeder who confirmed this after speaking to the owner of his sire.
    We did get him tested and the results could have been clear carrier or affected,his Breeder told us he would take him back if the results were not what we wanted.I assured him that no way would he go anywhere,we made the decision to bring him home,we will standby that.If he was a Carrier or worse affected we would have him castrated.
    It was sheer agony waiting for the results,which took 2 weeks to come back.
    Thankfully he was Clear.
    Would I do it again,no I learn't my lesson.

2. claire

claire Guest

if i wanted a pet and i like the look/temperament then i would

3. Brainless

Brainless Guest

No way why would I take more risk of getting problems than I had to.

I want my Pets to have the best chance of being healthy and of good temperament as well as looking good :D

At my local training class is a poor Westie male. He is a grumpy sod and only about 7 years old.

He has had to have both Patellas operated on and has been in some pain for most of his life, I wouldn't be surprised if it is his health that has affected his temperament.

His owners have spent a fortune on him, as they love him, he has skin problems too :(

He was bought from a casual breeder just as a pet.

We see similar examples regularly with poor health or temperament.

I hope that every last one of the pups I have bred are wonderful pets, but I have also loaded the dice in favour of them having excellent health and temperament and being at least very typical examples of their breed.

Very difficult to ascertain temperament in an 8 week old puppy as many behaviours and reactions will not be apparent until they are older.

4. claire

claire Guest

i just think for a family pet temperament is paramount

5. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Personally no I wouldn't. Why take a chance when there are plenty of 'good' temperamented (is there such a word??:rolleyes:) dogs out there who HAVE been health tested. :D

6. claire

claire Guest

i dont agree in breeding cross breeds or buying untested dogs in a way but i cant help but think they deserve a good home like the rest and if i was looking i'd consider one

7. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

I took my chance, i have a cross breed and have had no problems with her until now.....

But the problem she has could happen to anyone. It is common in small dogs...............

But i love her so much.....:D

8. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Well my Benson is a Rescue Rott so I had no idea of his parentage when I said I'd have him - and he is just fantastic - so I have and I would again:)

9. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

so would i.

If i see a dog that i liked and wanted it, cross ped what ever, ild have it no doubt about it.

Unless if i was going to buy an expensive pedigree puppy then i would want the parents to be tested.
    so yer, works both ways for me.

10. claire

claire Guest

i agree if you buy a pedigree you want evidence of its tests and parentage but if its a cross it a pet that deserves love and ya take what ya get it abit of a gamble but you love it all the same and even fully test pedigree still suffer with health problems it just how it is

11. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

If i am buying a pedigree pup i wouldnt touch pup's from parents that have'nt been health tested. Why, well because i want to ensure my pup will have the best start in life. The odds of my pup being healthy is much increaced if the breeder has taken the time and money to screen the parents (which any responsible breeder will have had done) and in my mind anyone who breeds without even the minimal recommended tests are just in it for a fast buck.

And to date (touch wood) it has paid off! :)

Lets hope my new Lurcher pup doesnt let me down :rolleyes:

Ang x

12. Tina

Tina Guest

Yes I would i own 3 un health tested dogs

There no different

13. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

Both my gsds had health tested papers from vet and the parents too, yet one still has Exema so can still get probs , yes i have bought dogs not health tested and had them done myself , i have been lucky with those no problems,i have had cross breeds, Black labs, bearded collies, Gsds and some were from rescue but all have been fine thank god.

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have brought dogs from untested and tested,,,,,parents,,,,,,,,:):)

15. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

me too and all have been fine:)

16. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

yes so have mine,,,:D:D

17. Dennyboy

Dennyboy PetForums Member

No.

The only untested dog i would buy would be from a rescue.

Why are people breeding if they are not health testing first??

Are they breeding to better the breed?

EXAMPLE:Two carriers will never get L2HGA and will live their lives ok,but........ if bred together then they could both pass on the bad gene, and there you have it, a whole litter possibly L2 affected :(:mad: why risk it?

Mel

18. claire

claire Guest

When i said 'if i wanted a pet and i like the look/temperament then i would' by look i didn't just mean how the puppy looked i ment the look of everything surrounding/parents/owner/how it acted. I dont believe in breeding crosses but the people that do dont necessarily care less for the pups as any other breeded and the pups deserve a home just as much as a pedigree puppy

19. claire

claire Guest

Me too....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice