Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you want to know?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Royoyo, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Hi there

I've made a thread before saying that I am doing my family tree and I have been filling family members in on the progress. Yesterday I found out some rather horrid information on my 3x Great Grandfather.

Although it was obviously a long time ago and my Dad never met him I feel a bit awful informing my Dad that his ancestor maybe wasn't what he thought he was.

Firstly he was convicted of rape with the intent to perish and was put into prison.

He was also sued a whopping 17 times in the space of two years!

There is also around 10 other court papers which have him written down for larceny. Stealing things from watches and mirrors and also china o_O

Then according to newspapers and court papers he owned a brothel and was also raided by the police where they found one of the largest illegal whiskey distilleries they had ever seen :eek::eek:.

This was all going on in Newcastle in the 1800's so it's a long long time ago....

If that was your ancestor would you want to know, especially if you had no idea? how do I break it to him?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

In my family, that would be classed as an exciting discovery.
    I think it depends on your dad, only you know him :)

3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Yes I would want to know but then I'm really into family history too and can look at it objectively and usually enjoy the further research that some of the not so pleasant facts have thrown up - such as looking into syphilis around the late 1800's - mid 1900's. I've found family members are OK with older stuff but I did make the mistake of sharing some information about my Mum's Mum with her and her sisters which they all found a bit upsetting so now I ask how much they want to know before sharing.

ETA your family history research is turning out to be quite fascinating by the sounds of things :)

4. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Thanks Rona!

It has been pretty fascinating, ever since I was linked to distant Cousins from the DNA test I seem to have found out so much more info! Some of it obviously not so nice though lol!

5. rottiepointerhouse

What happened to him?

6. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

From what I can see the last census record of him shows him living in Newcastle at 80 on his own in a pretty poor area, he had declared bankruptcy.

A couple of years before this he had what I can only imagine is a 'mistress' as he was still married at the time.. It was reported that a woman had been ran over by a cart and died and in a newspaper report relating to her death he had told them she lived with him and was his 'housekeeper' but someone I am in contact with found a birth certificate for one of his children and she is listed as the Mother on it. So this lady who was his 'housekeeper' and who died by getting ran over also had one of his children..... Doesn't sound like a very nice man to me :(

7. rottiepointerhouse

But if he did all those things I'm surprised he wasn't hung, deported or in prison for many years - perhaps he was accused but didn't do them. Have you found any newspaper reports of trials etc? My 4x great granny and her sisters were quite notorious, two of her sisters were "housekeepers" on the census but had illegitimate children with the man they were keeping house for - one had 11 - the last 7 or 8 I think all with the man she kept house for although he isn't named on any of their birth certificates. We have come across quite a few bigamists too, one went to prison for it as he used a false name and had a child with the poor woman he duped. Times were so different then with divorce very hard to get especially for the poor so many just got married to someone else. and hoped for the best :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Royoyo

Royoyo PetForums VIP

Yeah I was surprised nothing other than a prison sentence happened for him but reading further into it his Uncle was police superintendent in North Shields and his other Uncle was one of the first Newcastle policemen upon it's formation. After which he became a police sergeant in Sunderland and then went on to become Chief in North Shields.

So maybe because he had his connections? I'm not so sure but it would make sense.

9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I'd want to know, but just because I find history fascinating and as it was such a long time ago would be able to just look at it as interesting, maybe thrilling, would be different if I had known the person though.
    However as rona said, only you know your dad, maybe ask how much he'd like to know, or perhaps just say 'if you want me to stop, just say', and go from there?

I found out Robespierre is a 7x Great Grandfather to me, I was both shocked and fascinated by the idea. What amused me was it was also found out that Florence Nightingale is also a descendant of mine - two very different people!

Royoyo and rottiepointerhouse like this.
  10. rottiepointerhouse

Yes that could certainly explain things.

11. rottiepointerhouse

How amazing. I wish I was descended from Florence Nightingale :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh I'm just not that interested in my ancestry, but whatever they did is no reflection on me, so I don't think I would be that affected by it, if that makes sense?

Royoyo, lorilu and Jobeth like this.
  13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I'd find that really interesting and if I'm completely honest it would make me feel better about being the black sheep of the family for being gay!

14. Ratshnit

Ratshnit Banned

Ummmmk....what the hell, I'd just be glad the law wasn't after me!!!!

15. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

What do you mean by this?

16. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

If I discovered that distant ancestors of mine were criminals I'd actually find that quite interesting. My grandfather has done quite a bit of research on his ancestors and he's found out some very interesting things. He hasn't found any criminals yet, though. It's not like these ancestors reflect who any living family members are, so even if they did some pretty nasty things that wouldn't really have any impact on me.

Royoyo likes this.
  17. rottiepointerhouse

The research I did really helped one of my aunties, she was always told she was the black sheep of the family for having two children out of wed lock by different fathers back in the 50's. I found a complete line back to the early 1800's of multiple illegitimate births to what appeared to be many different fathers in our 3 x great granny's case and some of the research I included in my essay showed this was actually a lot more common in Victorian times than people think.

Sairy likes this.
  18. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

This ^^^^^^^^^

Royoyo and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice