Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Would you vacinate a pregnant bitch?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sarasquares, Aug 14, 2009.

1. sarasquares

sarasquares PetForums Senior

My vet told me that there is now a vaccine (distemper parvo etc)that is safe to use during pregnancy. Like all drugs there are side effects but we generally trust the doctor/vet. I would be interested to know people think about this. I, myself am in two minds.

Is it safer to wait until the dog has given birth or vaccinate during pregnancy? :confused:

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I would wait until after

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I wouldn't even consider it,but then i don't beleive in regular boosting either.
    As for vets saying it's safe to use i remember them saying the same about organosphosphates before dogs started dying from reactions.

4. sarasquares

I have read a lot about not vaccinating your dogs, especially chi's. I dont know if i would be able to take the risk. I have seen parvo in a dog and its heartbreaking. But then again you dont hear of any outbreaks.

Parents of children sometimes refuse to vaccinate their kids. I didnt let mine have the whooping cough jab. The both caught the bug but were not seriously ill.

5. bassetsandbeyond

bassetsandbeyond PetForums Senior

i would wait......messing about with pregnancy can cause harm....a friend of ours got hers vaccinated and all but 1 puppy came out deformed....and tragically all bar the healthy one died. She was devistated.

we get ours before/after depends when we breed. Scarlet had her booster after the pups had gone to new home as she was due her booster during pregs......

6. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

It will do your bitch no harm what so ever to wait until the pups are weaned before her booster.
    If your vet says it will do no harm I would get a second opinion with another vet tbh.

Take care

Sarah

7. sarasquares

Lol, it seems unanimous, i will wait :D

Plus, its extra stress for the dog. Mine have began to dislike the vets. Paris climbs up my body and into my ear when i am at the vets. :blink:

8. bucksmum

Initially i felt very jumpy about not boosting my dogs but i use a blood test called a titre test which measures antibodies to show if your dog needs boosting.It may be slightly more expensive than the annual booster(not much though)but far better for your dogs health than overvaccinating.

Interestingly i have never had a result come back saying a parvo booster is needed,antibodies have always been been sky high.

9. sarasquares

It makes sense that a dog would provide its own immunity, think of the wolf. I think i might look into the testing you have mentioned, very interesting :thumbup1:

10. bucksmum

I do the usual puppy jabs and then a booster at 15 months,then nothing after that.I am now thinking of dropping the 15 month booster and just titre testing instead.

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I was told by my vet to wait until Teigan had her puppies and weaned them off her fully, then I could get her booster done. She have just been booked in for next week. I would wait, I wouldnt want it going into the little babies in womb.xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice