UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
helloo, just wondered if you saw this advert in a shop would you be willing to help out? anything you think i should add/change?

WANTED:
Somebody with a large, calm dog - primarily for on lead walks but potentially moving on to play, to help build my nervous dogs confidence back up around bigger dogs. She can occasionally be growly and sometimes bark as she's scared but excited, so your dog will need to be of sound temperament, but she is a nice dog and would love a big friend!
Preferably dogs labrador size or larger as these are the ones she needs to feel more comfortable around.
Please cal 07********* if you can help!

how does that sound to you?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
As an aside I would be wary to put out an ad like this to joe public as a lot of people do have lovely dogs with lovely temperaments but they don't know enough about dog behaviour and language to see any problems that could occur, so it could not work out as you would hope.

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Is this you?

Are you offering them anything?

I would answer something like that if the dog was small as I think it's why Alfie was put on this earth :)

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I do have a dog that could benefit her, but I'd be wary that he or she might try to get training advice off me and then pin the blame back on me when the dog reacts aggressively to another dog. So, no is the short answer.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I know you don't want to put people off but I think I would add something along the lines of " I have taken advice and would want to stick with the suggestions made for initial steps so hope I won't come across as bossy if I explain what I want to do". I'm sure there's a better way of saying that but I think any volunteers need to know that you will call the shots and it's not just a pleasant companiable walk (to start with anyway), situation will need managing. Also you don't want to be on receiving end of well meaning advice.

I probably would had I had my last dog who was very forgiving of crass behaviour from other dogs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would reply to this if I had the right dog. However I would be careful of naive owners who know nothing of handling a dog in a potentially bad situation; just because they own the dog doesn't mean they would know what to do themselves if necessary. It's a tough one

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Yeah I would.

You should probably meet the dog before introducing it to your dog though, and explain what it is you want them to do.

I not long ago put an add similar to that on the local pet FB site, to help a friends dog, and a genuine helpful person responded and we were able to carry out a few training exercises so I could show my friend (who doesn't really live near me) how to do it with dog owners who lived near her.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replies everyone.
to all those who've suggested training classes we are going but not til the end of the month and i wanted something a bit more immediate, as i've only managed to get her on a one-off course as that's all that's available and i don't drive.
i will want to meet the dog and owner first as i get what you all mean about what other people consider calm. and as for what i want them to do i did state on lead walks so idk what they can get wrong as i don't want advice, just a walk.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this you?

Are you offering them anything?

I would answer something like that if the dog was small as I think it's why Alfie was put on this earth :)
yes it is me. i would like to offer something in return but couldn't think what, but all i really want is a companion for walks, i don't want to do training or get advice from a random member of the public.
and she's a staffie so it kind of depends who you ask. i think she's a small dog but some think they're big!

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I think you should just place something along the lines of - you would like to introduce your dog to walking (on lead) with a large dog to help with confidence issues.

If your dog is on lead you will have control whilst at the same time able to keep an eye on the body language. If the walk doesn't go well then you can walk away without any issues developing, then try again another day. Short, sweet and consistent.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would only consider it if the meets were taking place under the supervision of a trained professional. Things can quickly get out of hand if you aren't knowledgeable and I think it would be too big a risk :(

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would only consider it if the meets were taking place under the supervision of a trained professional. Things can quickly get out of hand if you aren't knowledgeable and I think it would be too big a risk :(
sorry if i seem stupid but i don't really understand this POV. we walk our dogs around untrained owners every day, so what could happen for it to go out of control that isn't a risk we all take every day? maybe that ad makes her seem more nervous than she is...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
No, partly because I don't need any more dog company, my dogs don't need dogs to play with because they've got me and each other, and I know the trauma some of these 'calm and steady' dogs go through to be constantly lunged and barked at while owners try to work through problems. I also would want to know a professional had 'diagnosed' your dog, because what starts as fear can become learned behaviour (my mini Dachshund is like this with strangers, especially men) and I won't put my dogs at risk for a stranger.

I've seen people ask similar before on forums, especially for ex-racing Greyhounds wanting parrallel walking for dogs who aren't settling well to outside life and seeing other dogs, and I see lots of people volunteering. Whether they go ahead, or do it more than once, or updates on the dog never seem to follow.

Reactions: Jenny Olley

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
yes it is me. i would like to offer something in return but couldn't think what, but all i really want is a companion for walks, i don't want to do training or get advice from a random member of the public.
and she's a staffie so it kind of depends who you ask. i think she's a small dog but some think they're big!
I was just thinking you could offer to buy them a coffee or light lunch.

Just as a thank you :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.